These Chai Spiced Popovers are what breakfast dreams are made of! Warm chai spices of cinnamon, ginger, cardamon and cloves elevate the classic popover to something extra special!
Hello friends and Happy Thursday! I’m coming to you guys this morning from beautiful sunny Florida where I’ll be enjoying some Chai Spiced Popovers poolside as my little breakfast treat! The sun is shining, the palm trees are swaying and life is good!
Remember I mentioned a few weeks ago that I’d be going to visit my mother in sunny Florida? Well this week is my week to relax with Mom and treat her like a queen! First off, you know I boarded that plane with some of her favorite Cranberry Orange Cornmeal Biscotti. I’m telling you, if I showed up without it she probably would have sent me packing! No joke!
I plan on making lots of her favorites while I’m here to visit. I know my Chicken Osso Buco will be on the menu, along with my Pumpkin Squares with Cinnamon Vanilla Buttercream Frosting. She’s also a big fan of my Black Bean Soup, so I’m sure I’ll be whipping up some of that too. And of course we’ll need a little cocktail to wash it all down, so I’m thinking the Sauvignon Sunset may totally do the trick!
Growing up, my mother never really ate sweet things for breakfast. She was more of a runny egg and toast kind of gal. Now that she’s 84, it’s all about the sweets for some reason. Don’t get me wrong, she still loves eggs and toast, but now she needs to end almost each and every meal with a little something sweet. I guess when you get to 84, you make your own rules right?!
Let’s just say, these sweet and delicious Chai Spiced Popovers have made the cut with Mom! The recipe is the classic popover recipe with one tablespoon of sugar added to the batter and the topping is a mixture of granulated sugar, cinnamon, ground ginger, cardamon and cloves. The popovers are light and airy and the chai spiced sugar mixture is just heavenly folks. These warm spices come together and elevate the classic popover to something that breakfast dream are made of! Enjoy!
Chai Spiced PopoversPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk lukewarm
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 Tbsp. butter melted
- Chai Spice Topping Mixture:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp.cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cloves
- 3 Tbsp. butter melted
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Position rack on lower shelf.
- Spray the popover pan or muffin tin generously with non-stick cooking spray. If using muffin tin spray area between cups too.
- Place eggs in cup of hot water for 10 minutes before using.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, milk, salt and granulated sugar. Whisk until there are no streaks of yolk left.
- Add all the flour, and beat until frothy. There should be no large lumps.
- Quickly stir in melted butter.
- Pour batter into cups. Fill to 3/4 full.
- Bake popovers for 15 minutes at 450 degrees, WITHOUT opening the oven door.
- After 15 minutes turn the oven down to 350 degrees and continue to bake for 20 more minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from oven. Stick the sharp tip of a knife into the top of the popover to release the steam and help prevent the popovers from getting soggy.
- Brush each popover with some of the melted butter and roll carefully in the sugar mixture, coating well.
- Serve immediately.
Join the Conversation