These Stuffed Peppers are a quick, delicious and easy meal for those busy weeknights. They’re satisfying even for the heartiest of appetites!
Happy St. Patrick’s Day friends! Have any big plans to celebrate the holiday? Will it be corned beef and cabbage for dinner? Perhaps some Reuben Poppers with some green beer? Sounds like a good plan to me! Well, however you celebrate, I hope you enjoy yourselves!
This time of year I’m always looking for quick dinners. Whether you have kids in spring sports or you just want to enjoy the warmer weather outside, dinner time always seems to sneak up on us doesn’t it? These Stuffed Peppers have always been a quick and easy favorite of mine. When I was growing up stuffed peppers were my grandmother’s specialty. It was always such a delicious and comforting meal.
The filling is a hearty mixture of meatloaf mix, onion, corn, tomatoes, and brown rice with a little pepper jack cheese and red pepper flakes to give it some kick. While the filling is cooking, you pre-cook the bell peppers in the microwave to soften them up a bit before stuffing. When the filling mixture is done cooking you stuff the peppers, sprinkle with extra shredded pepper jack and panko crumbs, and bake for 20 minutes until the peppers are slightly bubbly and the cheese is lightly browned.
I’m telling you guys, this one couldn’t be easier! It’s the perfect fast and tasty meal for the busy spring season. It covers all the bases… meat, starch and veggies all in one dish! Enjoy and hope to see you back at the BHK this Saturday when I’ll be sharing a sweet treat for Simple Saturday!
- 1 lb. meatloaf mix beef, pork, veal
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup white corn
- 1 14.5 oz. can petite diced tomatoes undrained
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 1/2 cups cooked whole grain brown rice I use Uncle Ben's Ready Rice
- 1 cup shredded pepper jack cheese plus extra for sprinkling on top
- 4 bell peppers
- 1/2 cup plain panko bread crumbs
- parsley chopped for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large skillet over medium high heat brown meatloaf mix for 5 minutes.
- Add onions, garlic, corn and continue to cook for an additional 5-7 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften.
- Stir in tomatoes (undrained), oregano, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Cook for 15 minutes.
- Stir in cooked rice and 1 cup cheese and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes until cheese is melted and rice is warm. Remove from heat.
- Cut bell peppers in half. Remove seeds and ribs. Sprinkle insides with kosher salt. Place in a microwave safe dish. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover and microwave for 4-5 minutes or until somewhat softened.
- Transfer the peppers to large baking dish or large baking sheet. Fill the peppers with the meat mixture. Sprinkle with some extra shredded cheese and panko bread crumbs.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with parsley if desired.