This Italian Sausage, Peppers and Onions is a hearty comfort food dish that’s perfect for game day!
Today, I’m serving up my favorite kinda comfort food guys, my Italian Sausage, Peppers and Onions.
I’ve always been a fan of Italian sausage. Sweet or spicy, atop pasta, added to a nice fluffy hoagie roll and enjoyed as a sandwich, or simply in a bowl by itself. I’m all in.
We really enjoy this on our game day menu. It’s one of my go-to’s because it’s an easy favorite with everyone.
I use Giada’s tip to add some marsala wine, because it’s definitely a flavor boost. But you know I had to tweak Giada’s recipe because Mr. Picky does not, let me repeat, DOES NOT like big tomato chunks. If he’s sees one, he’s out. (Can anyone else say, please put on your big boy pants Mr. Picky?)
So for my Italian Sausage, Peppers and Onions, I use a large can of crushed tomatoes, crushed being the key word.
Lots of red and green bell peppers, onions, some garlic and Italian seasoning with a pinch of red pepper flakes for spice and you’ve got a cozy comfort food meal to serve with pasta, as a sandwich or right out of the pot! Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Italian Sausage, Peppers and Onions Recipe:
I used sweet Italian sausage for today’s recipe, but you can also use hot or a combination of both.
I think the addition of the Marsala wine really makes this dish, so I wouldn’t leave it out.
I chose links for this recipe, but you can also buy a large piece of sausage.
I added 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes, but if you like it spicier add more. Not so spicy? Add less.
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb. Italian sausage links
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into thin strips
- 1 large yellow onion, cut into slices, and then half each slice
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 1/4 cup Marsala cooking wine
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add sausage links and cook until browned on both sides, about 10 minutes. Remove from pan and place on plate. Set aside.
- Add the peppers and onions, salt and pepper to the pan and cook over medium heat until lightly browned, about 5-7 minutes. Add the Italian seasoning and the garlic and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste.
- Add the Marsala wine, crushed tomatoes granulated sugar and red pepper flakes and stir until well combined. Bring to a simmer.
- Cut the sausages into 1-inch chunks. Add the sausage to the pot and stir until well combined. Cook for 20 minutes or until sausage is totally cooked though. Serve with pasta, on rolls, or in bowls.
Inspired by Giada’s Sausage, Peppers and Onions