This Slow Cooker Italian Beef is comfort food the whole family will enjoy! It’s a chuck roast cooked low and slow with Italian spices and pickled veggies! Enjoy with a side of mashed potatoes and green beans or on a sandwich topped with provolone cheese and some of the broth for dipping!
Let’s pull out all the stops and make dear old Dad an unforgettable meal this Father’s Day, shall we??
This Slow Cooker Italian Beef is just the ticket. It’s one of those meals that’s low on effort, but high on flavor and comfort.
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
This is one of those set it and forget it slow cooker meals, so that means it’s super simple.
The meat is cooked low and slow and it’s over-the-top tender.
It’s such a versatile meal. You can enjoy the meat au jus on an Italian roll topped with provolone cheese or as your main dish with a side of mashed potatoes and green beans.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- beef chuck roast
- olive oil
- yellow onion
- garlic cloves
- Italian seasoning
- kosher salt and pepper
- red cooking wine
- low-sodium beef broth
First, you’ll season your roast generously with salt and pepper on all sides and then sear your meat on both sides in a few tablespoons of olive oil until it’s nicely browned, about 5 minutes per side over medium-high heat. Once the meat is seared you will remove it to a plate.
At this point, you will cook your onions with your minced garlic, Italian seasoning, kosher salt and pepper until the onions are somewhat softened, about 5-6 minutes, adding a bit more olive oil, if needed.
Next up, will be to deglaze with the red wine and cook until it’s reduced by half.
You will then add in your beef broth followed by the chuck roast with any accumulated juices from the plate and the drained giardiniera.
Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours, or until the meat is easily shredded with two forks. Once you shred your meat continue to cook on low for roughly 30 minutes and then it’s time to serve.
My slow cooker has a sauté option, so I did all the above steps in my slow cooker. If yours does not, you can do the steps in a large skillet.
I actually made this a few weeks back for Tom and our friends Dan and Mark because their wives were out of town and it got rave reviews. I served it with rolls and the mashed potatoes and green beans and they all enjoyed it as a sandwich AND had an additional helping with the sides!
It was made in my new slow cooker from the Original GreenPan and I just love it! It’s a sleek multi-function slow cooker. It roasts, browns, sautés, steams and slow cooks. And the clean up is a total breeze!
This is one dish I guarantee Dad would really enjoy on his special day. And since it’s a slow cooker meal you can just set it and forget it while you do something with Dad to celebrate.
Hope you guys give the recipe a go and Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there!!
Please let me know if you give the recipe a try. And if you have any questions about the recipe, just drop a comment below. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Slow Cooker Italian Beef
My roast was just over 3 1/2 pounds.
You can shred your meat with two forks right in the slow cooker with the broth. Shred it as fine as you prefer. I usually leave some bigger chunks in mine if I’m serving with sides. If I serve it on a roll, I usually shred it finer.
I made my Italian Beef in my new Original GreenPan Slow Cooker which I highly recommend.
More Delicious Slow Cooker Recipes to Enjoy
Slow Cooker Italian BeefPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 3 1/2-4 lb. chuck roast
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup red cooking wine
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 12 oz. jar giardiniera, drained
- Season your roast generously with salt and pepper on all sides, then sear your meat in your slow cooker or a large skillet over medium-high heat on both sides in the olive oil until nicely browned, about 5 minutes per side. Once the meat is seared you will remove it to a plate.
- Cook your onions over medium heat with your minced garlic, Italian seasoning, kosher salt and pepper until the onions are somewhat softened, about 5-6 minutes, adding more olive oil, if needed.
- Deglaze with the red wine and cook until it's reduced by half, then add in your beef broth followed by the chuck roast with any accumulated juices from the plate and the drained giardiniera.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours, or until the meat is easily shredded with two forks. Once you shred your meat continue to cook on low for 30 minutes and then it's time to serve.