It’s time to break out your trusty slow cooker folks. This Easy Slow Cooker Gumbo doesn’t get simpler or more delicious! Your family is sure to devour this one-pot meal that’s with loaded delicious Creole spice flavors!
This is a sponsored post on behalf of Tony Chachere’s. As always, all opinions are 100% my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that help make The Beach House Kitchen possible.
When life gets busy, especially around the holiday season, there’s nothing better than breaking out the slow cooker. Just set it and forget it and by dinner time you’ve got a fabulous meal to serve your family.
Super Simple Easy Slow Cooker Gumbo
Today I’m sharing this Easy Slow Cooker Gumbo recipe with the help of my good friends from Tony Chachere’s.
You guys know I’ve been working with Tony’s for a few years now here at the BHK and I’m so proud to be one of their ambassadors. I love sharing their products with you folks so you have the chance to give them a try and make some delicious easy meals for your family as well.
I seriously always have a pantry full of Tony’s at all times. Their spices, dinner mixes, marinades, salad dressings…the list goes on. I know when I’m serving something from Tony’s it’s going to be super tasty and my family is going to love it.
This Easy Slow Cooker Gumbo is made with Tony’s Creole Gumbo Base Mix. It’s got everything you need to make a bold and flavorful pot of gumbo base inside the box. Just add water, your veggies, some chicken, shrimp and sausage and set your slow cooker to high and patiently wait for dinner to be served.
Easy Slow Cooker Gumbo Ingredients
- yellow onion
- green bell pepper
- andouille sausage
- Tony Chachere’s Creole Gumbo Base Mix
- chicken breasts
- fire roasted diced tomatoes
How to Make this Easy Slow Cooker Gumbo
First, you’ll melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat and then you’ll add the onions, peppers and celery and cook until they’re just beginning to soften. Next up, add your garlic followed by the sliced sausage. You’ll remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
At this point you will add the water and the Tony Chachere’s Creole Gumbo Base Mix to your slow cooker and whisk it together. The veggies, sausage, chicken breasts and tomatoes will be added to the slow cooker as well at this point and you’ll cook everything for 3 hours on high.
After 3 hours, the chicken will get removed from the slow cooker and shredded. Return the shredded chicken, the okra and your shrimp to the slow cooker and cook for an additional 30 minutes until the shrimp are pink and cooked through. Then you’ll add the gumbo to bowls and serve.
I hope you give this easy recipe a try. It’s an entire meal in a bowl. I love to serve mine with some homemade cornbread or cornbread muffins on the side.
Please let me know if you give the recipe a try. And if you have any questions about the recipe, just drop a comment below. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Easy Slow Cooker Gumbo
I used canned okra for this recipe. If you can find fresh you can use that too. Adding the canned okra towards the end of cooking prevents it from getting mushy.
I used medium sized shrimp and left them whole when adding to the slow cooker.
I like to serve my bowls of gumbo with a scoop of white rice on top.
More Delicious Tony Chachere’s Recipes to Enjoy
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup yellow onions, chopped
- 1 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 oz. andouille sausage, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 box Tony Chachere's Creole Gumbo Base Mix
- 6 cups water
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 14.5-oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 14.5-oz. can okra, drained
- 1 lb. medium-sized raw shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onions, peppers and celery and cook for 4 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and continue to cook for one minute. Add the sliced sausage and cook for 4 minutes. Remove skillet from the heat and set aside.
- Add the water and the Tony Chachere’s Creole Gumbo Base Mix to your slow cooker. Whisk together. Add the veggies and sausage, chicken breasts and tomatoes. Cook 3 hours on high.
- Remove the chicken from the slow cooker and shred. Return the shredded chicken, the okra and your shrimp to the slow cooker and cook for an additional 30 minutes until the shrimp are pink and cooked through. Add gumbo to bowls and serve.