This Italian Chopped Salad is the perfect recipe for a crowd. It works for lunch or dinner and is loaded with meat and cheese, crunchy romaine and other veggies, all tossed in a light vinaigrette!
Let’s end our week on a fresh, colorful note shall we?
This Italian Chopped Salad is hearty, fresh, loaded with all the pretty colors and a great option for a satisfying lunch or dinner. It’s also one of my go-to’s for spring and summer picnics and parties.
I had a hankering a few weeks back for a chopped salad. Over the years, I’ve made all different kinds of chopped salads. A BLT chopped salad, Southwestern chopped salad and a Greek chopped salad, just to name a few. What I love about chopped salads is that they’re anything but boring.
What is a chopped salad?
A chopped salad is just like it sounds. A salad where all the ingredients are chopped and then incorporated.
My Italian Chopped salad is a combination of chopped romaine and radicchio, tomatoes, red onion, roasted red peppers, artichoke hearts, olives, cucumbers, pepperoncini, sharp provolone and salami. Far from boring right?! And it’s all tossed in a light lemony vinaigrette.
The light vinaigrette has a touch of lemon, Dijon mustard, a smidge of garlic and honey for sweetness and it only takes minutes to make. I always keep a jar filled with this homemade vinaigrette in my fridge.
I guarantee you’ll love this salad folks. It’s ridiculously easy and it’s sure to satisfy the heartiest of appetites. Enjoy!
Hope you guys will pop back to the blog next week. I’ve got another Italian favorite that you won’t want to miss!
A few other favorite salads here at the BHK are my Greek Couscous Salad and my Super Veggie Choped Salad with BBQ Ranch.
A Few Cook’s Notes for Italian Chopped Salad Recipe:
I like to leave my sharp provolone and salami in strips, but you could chop instead.
If you’re not a fan of sharp provolone you could opt for regular provolone.
I sometimes add capicola to this salad too.
I used halved grape tomatoes for this recipe, but any kind of tomato will work.
Italian Chopped SaladPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 medium head radicchio, finely chopped
- 1 large English cucumber, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 6.5-oz. jar artichoke hearts
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini rings
- 1/2 cup green olives with pimento, sliced in half
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 lb. hard salami slices, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- 1/2 lb. sharp provolone slices, cut into 1/4-inch strips
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese, for sprinkling, if desired
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Combine all dressing ingredients in a jar. Shake well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients except Parmesan cheese. Toss. Pour dressing over the salad and toss until all ingredients are well coated. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if desired. If you want to enjoy the salad over a few days, only toss each portion with desired amount of dressing. Refrigerate any additional salad and dressing. Let dressing come to room temperature before using again.
Join the Conversation