This Ground Turkey Cowboy Caviar Salad is a hearty, protein-packed salad that’s perfect for that low-carb lunch or dinner.
Happy New Year friends!!
How was everyone’s holiday? It seems like it’s been forever since we’ve chatted.
I hope y’all enjoyed some rest and relaxation and time with family as much as I did.
Now that it’s a new year AND a new decade you know what that means. It’s time to put all our naughty ways behind us and move full steam ahead into a healthier way of life right?
It’s time to cut out the holiday cookies and candies and break out the big ‘ole plate of super delicious grass clippings drizzled in some God awful dressing….right?
Hello? Ya buyin’ that?
Heck no! That’s not how we do things here at the BHK!
We healthy things up with totally tasty dishes like this Ground Turkey Cowboy Caviar Salad.
If you’re trying to cut out some carbs, go low fat and high protein, this is the salad for you.
First off, have you heard of Cowboy/Texas Caviar?
It’s always been one of my faves.
What is Cowboy/Texas Caviar?
Cowboy Caviar, also called Texas Caviar, is a salad/dip made of black eyed peas and veggies like corn, tomatoes and peppers that’s tossed with a vinaigrette-style dressing. It’s often served with tortilla chips.
Classic Cowboy Caviar is hearty as is, but I’ve made it even heartier by adding some spicy ground turkey meat.
I’ve cooked the ground turkey with some ground cumin, chili powder, onion and garlic powders, oregano and salt and pepper. These are the usual taco seasoning spices, so if you want to make this easy recipe even easier, you could just grab a packet of taco seasoning from your market.
I simply toss the spicy cooked ground turkey with all the veggies and then toss it all with a mixture of olive oil, red wine vinegar, a smidge of sugar, salt and pepper.
This salad is perfect for lunch or dinner or even served as an appetizer with some tortilla chips.
So healthy doesn’t need to mean boring and bland. This salad will tickle your taste buds yet not wreck your waistline. Hope you guys give it a try! Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Ground Turkey Cowboy Caviar Recipe:
I have served this as a salad for lunch, as a dinner and also as an appetizer with tortilla chips for dipping.
I like to serve this salad at room temperature.
It’s perfect for meal prep for the week too.
I added green pepper, but you can substitute red, yellow or orange pepper.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. ground turkey meat
- 1 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 15.8-oz. can black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 11-oz. can corn, drained
- 1 cup green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1/3 cup jalapenos, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the ground turkey and cook, breaking up the meat with a spatula, until no longer pink. Drain fat and return to heat. Add spices and water and mix until well combined. Cook until water evaporates, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add cooked meat to a large serving bowl to cool a bit.
- To the cooled meat, add the black eyed peas, corn, green pepper, red onion, tomatoes, jalapenos and garlic.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients. Toss the meat/veggie mixture with the dressing until well combined. Serve immediately on a platter or as an appetizer with tortilla chips.