This Cheesy Spicy Sausage Rice Bake is comfort food at its finest! It’s sure to satisfy the heartiest of appetites!
Happy Monday guys!
How was everyone’s weekend?
We had a bit of a Nor’easter this weekend at the beach which brought lots of wind, tidal flooding and just plain headaches for local residents and businesses.
Tom and I had some good friends down, so since the weather wasn’t cooperating for any outdoor activities, it was one of those stay at home, hunker down watching college football and the World Series kinda weekend. No complaints here.
And who hunkers down without some comfort food??
That’s one of the things I love about fall and winter. How bout you?
Don’t get me wrong, I sneak in a little comfort food dish here and there during the spring and summer, but fall and winter just go hand and hand with comfort food in my book.
I actually made this Cheesy Spicy Sausage Rice Bake a few weekends back when it just started getting a little chilly and I think Tom and our friend Mark could have polished it off by themselves.
Technically it feeds 4…or Tom and Mark.
A Few Cook’s Notes for Cheesy Spicy Sausage Rice Bake Recipe:
I used Hot Italian sausage for this recipe, but you can also use sweet Italian sausage if you like things milder.
The recipe calls for shredded cheddar jack cheese, but you can substitute regular cheddar, jalapeño jack, or Monterey jack cheese.
The combo of rice, spicy Italian sausage, green chiles, mushrooms, onions and shredded cheese will satisfy the heartiest of appetites. And the rich, creamy, cheesy sauce is sure to warm you right up!
Serve with a side salad, a glass of wine and the usual comfort food attire, stretchy pants and fuzzy slippers and you’re all set! Enjoy!
Latest video from the BHK
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 lb. hot Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 4-oz. can chopped green chiles, undrained
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar jack, shredded
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 2-qt. baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cook white rice according to package directions. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large skillet, over medium-high heat, cook hot Italian sausage until browned and no longer pink inside, stirring with a wooden spoon to break up the sausage. Using a slotted spoon, remove sausage from skillet to a bowl. Drain fat from skillet.
- In the same skillet, over medium-high heat, melt the butter. Add the onion and mushrooms and cook for 5-7 minutes, until soft. Add the green chiles and garlic and continue to cook for one minute.
- Stir in the chicken broth, heavy cream, salt and pepper until well combined and bring to a simmer, about 7-10 minutes. Add 3/4 cup of the shredded cheese and mix until cheese is melted. Add the sausage and rice. Mix until well combined. Pour into prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup shredded cheese. Bake for 30-35 minutes until bubbly.