These Pickled Red Onions are the perfect addition to tacos, salads, sandwiches, stir-fry, scrambled eggs or even your avocado toast. They’re tangy and crispy and they brighten up any meal!
Open the door to my fridge on any given day and 9 times out of 10 you’ll find a jar of Pickled Red Onions.
If I’m looking to add some zing to my eggs for breakfast, my sandwich for lunch or even my tacos for dinner it’s usually pickled red onions to the rescue?
Pickling them gives them a tangy, slightly sweet taste while still leaving them nice and crisp and vibrantly colored.
Pickled Red Onions Ingredients
- red onion
- apple cider vinegar
You’ll only need five ingredients to whip these up and just about two hours to let them pickle at room temperature and they’ll keep in your fridge for up to three weeks.
What can you use pickled red onions for?
You can use them in your tacos or stir fry, on burgers, sausages, sandwiches, scrambled eggs, avocado toast…the list goes on.
Just make sure you’ve got a jar with a lid to keep them in in your fridge.
Keep these bookmarked folks, because as I mentioned last week I’ve got a recipe heading your way on Thursday for an Arroz Verde (green rice) which will go perfectly with these and that Slow Cooker Honey Chipotle Chicken. All three recipes will come together into one EPIC Honey Chipotle Chicken Bowl that you’ll definitely want to make, so stay tuned because I’ll be sharing that recipe soon too!
Please let me know if you give this recipe a try. And if you have any questions about the recipe, just drop a comment below. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Pickled Red Onions
You will need a jar with a lid to make this recipe.
Once you add your onions to the jar and top with the liquid, make sure you press down on the onions so they are fully submerged in the liquid.
- 1 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- Slice onions thin and place in a jar with a lid. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, stir together the apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt and water. Cook on medium high heat until the mixture comes to a simmer. Pour the hot mixture over the onions in the jar and cover with the lid and shake the jar.
- Let the onions marinate for two hours at room temperature. Make sure the onions are submerged in the liquid. Serve or refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.