This Creamed Spinach and Mushrooms is a steakhouse favorite made at home! It’s also the perfect vegetarian side for your holiday table. It’s creamy and cheesy and can be made a day ahead too!
Updated: This post was first published here in March 2018. I wanted to reshare it because it’s one of my favorites for the holiday season. I’ve tweaked the content and added some additional notes to the post below.
It’s just a few days til Thanksgiving folks, so you know what that means. I’ve got my pen and paper ready, and I’m in full blown planning mode. Care to join me? Come on!
If you’re looking for a tried and true recipe for a delicious side for your holiday turkey or whatever you might be serving, my Creamed Spinach and Mushrooms is just what you’re looking for.
I’m a huge spinach fan. Creamed spinach, spinach souffle, spinach salad…bring it on. I’ve been making this creamed spinach for years, and it’s the perfect side for any holiday meal or as a side for a nice big juicy steak.
Creamed Spinach and Mushrooms Ingredients
- baby spinach leaves
- Baby Bella mushrooms
- yellow onion
- garlic cloves
- all-purpose flour
- kosher salt and pepper
- Gruyère cheese
- panko bread crumbs
And talk about easy peasy. It only takes about 20 minutes to whip up, and you can make it the day before up to the panko crumbs. Then the day you’re serving, just sprinkle it with the panko crumbs and bake until heated through. I love side dishes like this one that make for less work the day of the celebration. Don’t you? Enjoy!
I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving! I am thankful for each and everyone of you and your support over the years! Happy Holiday Season! XO MaryAnn
A Few Cook’s Notes for Creamed Spinach and Mushrooms
As I mentioned above, you can make this dish ahead of time. I sometimes make it the night before. You’ll spoon the mixture into your baking dish and the day you’re baking it sprinkle the mixture with the panko crumbs and bake.
This side dish is vegetarian, but I’ve also made it with some crumbled bacon added in and you know who loves that! You can make it incredibly easy and grab the crumbled bacon in the small packet from the salad dressing aisle. I’ve been know to do that when I’m feeling super lazy!
More Delicious Side Dish Recipes to Enjoy
Green Beans with Mushrooms Onions and Mornay Sauce
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Crispy Prosciutto
Creamed Spinach and MushroomsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 4 6-oz. bags baby spinach leaves, stems removed
- 2 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 8 oz. Baby Bella mushrooms, chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 cup gruyere chesse, grated
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large saucepan, bring 2 inches of water to a boil. Add the spinach, a handful at a time, waiting for it to wilt before adding more. When all the spinach is wilted, drain in a colander. Using a large spoon, press out as much as the water as possible. You can also use your hands to squeeze out the water.
- In the saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, onion and garlic and cook until softened and until some of the mushroom liquid cooks away, stirring often. Reduce the temperature to medium-low and stir in the flour. Cook for an additional minute stirring constantly. Slowly whisk in the milk and simmer until thickened, whisking often. Stir in the salt, pepper, nutmeg, cheese and spinach. Spoon into baking dish. Sprinkle with panko crumbs. Bake for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
Join the Conversation