A Middle Eastern favorite, this Everything Hummus is smooth and creamy and totally addictive.
Seriously, I could live on hummus. It’s one of my favorite snacks. This Everything Hummus is thick and creamy, cheaper than store-bought versions and takes no time to whip up.
It’s high in protein and fiber and it’s also packed with vitamins and minerals.
What is hummus?
Hummus is a dip or spread that’s made from cooked, mashed chickpeas. It’s blended with tahini, lemon juice, and garlic. It’s a popular Middle Eastern favorite.
I love making a batch at the beginning of the week and enjoying it as a snack for the remainder of the week. I love to spread it on sandwiches and use it as a dip for fresh veggies, naan or pita bread or chips, crackers/breadsticks or pretzels.
I use canned chickpeas to make my hummus. I make sure to peel the skin from the chickpeas, which does take a bit more time, but it’s so worth it. Peeling the skins yields an extra smooth hummus, so honestly, I don’t usually skip that step.
I always want a generous serving for the week, so I use two cans of chickpeas for this recipe. You’ll need some tahini, olive oil, some water, garlic, fresh lemon juice and some everything bagel seasoning. You simply blend everything up in your food processor until it’s well combined and nice and smooth. It’s as simple as that!
Stay tuned, because later in the week I’ll be sharing a homemade naan recipe which goes perfectly with this hummus. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Everything Hummus Recipe:
As mentioned above, I would definitely go the extra step and peel the skins from your canned chickpeas. It will give you a much smoother hummus.
Sometimes I make my own homemade everything bagel seasoning, but you can also find it now in the spice area of your local food store. Trader Joe’s carries one called Everything But the Bagel Sesame Seasoning Blend.
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. fine sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 15-oz. cans chickpeas, rinsed, drained and shelled
- 1/3 cup cold water
- 1 Tbsp. everything bagel seasoning, plus some extra for sprinkling on top
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, optional
- Add tahini, olive oil, salt, garlic and lemon juice to food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Add the chickpeas and water and process until smooth, about 3 minutes, scraping down halfway through. Add more water if too thick. Add the everything bagel seasoning and pulse once or twice to combine. Spoon into a serving bowl and top with a bit of olive oil and some extra everything bagel seasoning. Serve with vegetables, crackers, pretzels or chips.