This Beef Burrito Skillet is a Mexican favorite that’ll be on your table in less than 30 minutes! It’s beyond yummy and is perfect for those busy weeknights, weekly meal prep or for your weekend football parties.
Wow! How is it already back to school season? Life is about to get busy. And I don’t know about you guys, but when life gets busy, dinner isn’t something I want to fret about. I want something tasty and I want it quick!
Today’s Beef Burrito Skillet to the rescue!
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
It’s beyond yummy and on your table in less than 30 minutes.
And it’s a meal that’s not super expensive either. You’ll need less than 10 ingredients to whip this one up.
What is A Burrito?
If you’ve never enjoyed a burrito, it’s a Mexican dish that consists of a flour tortilla that’s filled with a savory filling of beef, chicken or pork in addition to rice, beans, cheese, tomatoes, onions, peppers and condiments such as salsa, guacamole or crema. It’s stuffed and then rolled into a cylindrical shape.
This Beef Burrito Skillet is everything inside the flour tortilla whipped up in a pan and served naked! No. You’re not the one who’s naked. The burrito’s naked. No flour tortilla. Just the filling!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- ground beef
- yellow onion
- taco seasoning
- Rotel tomatoes with green chiles
- pinto beans
- brown rice
- shredded cheddar jack cheese
- sour cream
- cilantro leaves – optional
First, you’ll brown up some ground beef and chopped yellow onion.
Then you’ll drain the fat and then add one package of taco seasoning, some water, pinto beans, two cups brown rice and a can of Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies.
You’ll bring it to a boil and then let it simmer for a few minutes before adding some shredded cheddar-jack and serving. I mean can things get any easier??
I serve mine with some sour cream, cilantro leaves, extra cheese and a nice cold beer!
This is the perfect family meal for the back to school season. It’s easy and delicious, economical and if your kiddos love burritos they’re gonna love this dish!
Please let me know if you give the recipe a try. And if you have any questions about the recipe, just drop a comment below. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Beef Burrito Skillet
I used one 10 ounce can of Rotel tomatoes with green chilies, but you could also substitute plain petite diced tomatoes. I love the added flavor of the green chilies.
To make this recipe really easy, I used one 8.8-oz. package of already cooked Minute Brown Rice that’s in the little cups. If you can’t find that at your local market, you can just use 2 cups of cooked brown rice.
More One Skillet Meals to Enjoy
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1-oz. package taco seasoning
- 1 1/4 cups water
- 1 10-oz. can Rotel tomatoes and green chilies, undrained
- 1 15-oz. can pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 cup shredded cheddar jack cheese, plus extra for serving
- sour cream, for serving if desired
- cilantro leaves, as garnish, if desired
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook ground beef and onion, breaking up the meat with a spoon. Cook until the beef is no longer pink and the onion is translucent. Drain.
- Add the taco seasoning, water, tomatoes with green chilies, pinto beans and rice. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer the mixture, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until almost all the water has evaporated, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese until melted. Remove from the heat.
- Garnish with cilantro leaves, if desired. Serve with extra cheese and sour cream.