If you’re looking for a delicious comfort food dish, look no further. This Roasted Red Pepper Tortellini Alfredo with Sausage is comfort food done right!
Two of my faves…Alfredo sauce and roasted red peppers. So why not combine the two to make an incredibly flavorful sauce, add some tortellini, sweet Italian sausage and fresh basil?
My husband Tom could not get enough of this dish guys. He loaded his plate and even went in for seconds. Perhaps thirds. But who’s counting?
I made it a few weeks back and even shared (to Tom’s dismay) with my older sister Momo and her husband Clark. They totally loved it too!
Alfredo sauce is one of the easiest sauces to make. It’s a combination of butter, cream, Parmesan and a bit of salt and pepper. It’s rich and ultra-creamy and makes for such a decadent dish.
And since I adore roasted red peppers, every once in a while I like to change things up and make a roasted red pepper Alfredo sauce. It’s sooooo good.
Only a handful of ingredients and less than 30 minutes and you’ll have a delicious, hearty meal on your table that everyone in the family will love! Enjoy!
Another Italian favorite here at the BHK is my Lasagna Bolognese.
A Few Cook’s Notes for Roasted Red Pepper Tortellini Alfredo with Sausage Recipe:
I used sweet Italian sausage, but if you like things spicier, use hot Italian sausage instead.
I used cheese tortellini for this recipe, but I have often substituted rigatoni or fettuccine. Really any kind of pasta will do.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. bulk sweet (or hot) Italian sausage
- 1 20-oz. package fresh cheese tortellini
- 1 12-oz. jar roasted red peppers
- 1/2 cup (one stick) butter
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup fresh basil leaves, julienned
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat olive oil. Add sausage and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon until no longer pink. Remove with a slotted spoon to a bowl. Set aside.
- Cook pasta al dente according to package directions. Drain and return pasta to pot. Add the sausage.
- Drain the jar of roasted red peppers and add to a food processor. Pulse until the peppers are smooth.
- In a large saucepan, bring the cream and butter to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, add the roasted red peppers, garlic, salt and pepper and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in one cup of the Parmesan cheese. Stir until well combined. Pour the sauce over the pasta and sausage in the pot. Add the basil and mix gently until well combined. Serve immediately with remaining Parmesan cheese.