These Cheesy Italian Baked Beans are your classic baked beans with bold and spicy Italian flavor. Cannellini beans, garlic, onions, tomatoes and cheese make for one satisfying side!
Baked beans and summer go hand in hand here at the beach.
We’ve been enjoying my mom’s Baked Three Bean Casserole for like ever! It’s a family favorite.
But I like to spice things up every now and then. You know…to keep everyone on their toes and to give something new a try in hopes that it may also become a family favorite.
I saw this recipe for Cheesy Italian Baked Beans in Better Homes and Gardens Magazine and since I was Italian in a previous life (I just know it), I decided these needed to make an appearance here on the blog.
Cheesy Italian Baked Beans Ingredients
- olive oil
- yellow onion
- salt and pepper
- crushed tomatoes
- fresh rosemary
- cannellini beans
- Parmesan cheese
- crushed red pepper flakes
- provolone cheese
You’ll sauté up some chopped yellow onion and sliced garlic until tender. Then you’ll add one can of fire-roasted crushed tomatoes, your cannellini beans and lots of coarsely chopped rosemary leaves. You’ll bring this mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat and continue to cook for 10 minutes or until the mixture is somewhat thickened.
Next up will be to add half of the shredded Parmesan cheese and season with salt, pepper and some red pepper flakes for added heat.
I cooked this dish in an oven safe skillet, but if you don’t have one you can transfer the mixture to a 2-quart baking dish. You’ll top with the remaining shredded Parmesan and shredded provolone. BH&G used shredded fontina cheese, but I love provolone, so I substituted that instead.
The beans will bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes or until you get that nice brown edge and until the cheese if super melted. Sprinkle with some added rosemary, if desired and it’s time to dig in! These are perfect with grilled Italian sausage sandwiches with onions and peppers to go along with them!
Please let me know if you give the recipe a try. And if you have any questions about the recipe, just drop a comment below. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Cheesy Italian Baked Beans
As mentioned above, BH&G used shredded fontina cheese. I substituted provolone. Use what you prefer.
I cooked the beans a bit different from their recipe because I like mine just a smidge softer. So I added them to the crushed tomatoes and cooked then on the stovetop for ten minutes before transferring to the oven and continuing to cook. If you like your beans crispier you can just add them to the crushed tomato mixture after they cook on the stovetop for the ten minutes just before putting in the oven for 20 minutes.
More Delicious Side Dishes to Enjoy
Cheesy Italian Baked BeansPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 28-oz. can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
- 3 15.5-oz. cans cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/4 cup fresh rosemary leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- crushed red pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded provolone cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a 10-inch skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and 1/8 tsp. salt and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, beans and rosemary and bring to a boil; reduce the heat to a low boil and continue to cook, uncovered for 10 minutes until slightly thickened.
- Stir in half of the Parmesan. Season with the salt, pepper and red pepper flakes to taste. If your skillet is oven-safe keep in the skillet, if not transfer to a 2-quart baking dish. Top with shredded provolone and remaining parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until edges are browned and cheese is melted. Sprinkle with extra rosemary if desired.
Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Magazine
Join the Conversation