This Baked Three Bean Casserole is perfect for all your summer parties! It’s always a crowd pleaser!
Updated: This post was first published here at the BHK in July 2015. I decided it was worthy of a reshare, so I’ve added a VIDEO below right above the recipe to show you folks how easy it is to whip up.
Beans, beans and more beans!
I know what you’re thinking, but come on, we can get past that little poem can’t we? We’re all adults here aren’t we? Ok, ok, I know it’s funny, but we all know it wouldn’t be a summer BBQ without baked beans!
And these beans….oh yeah….your’re gonna love ’em!!
I don’t usually like to refer to anything I whip up in the kitchen as “the BEST thing ever” because I like my guests to come to their own conclusions. I do have to say though, after serving up this Baked Three Bean Casserole for years, (a lot of years) I am pretty sure all of my summer guests refer to these beans as the BEST!
This recipe comes from a cookbook my mother gave me when I graduated from college a few years back. Ok, I’m lying. It was more than a few years back, but nevertheless she gave me the cookbook and I’ve made dozens of recipes from it, and they have all been winners!
This recipe is quick, easy (check out the VIDEO below and see how easy) AND it’s a ONE pot wonder! No big mess in the kitchen! YAY!! I’m always excited about dishes that only require one pot, especially in the summer!
This bean casserole has 3 different types of beans, hence the name, Baked Three Bean Casserole along with some hamburger, bacon and onion! Just fry up the bacon, then the hamburger and onion, then add the rest of the ingredients, mix well and bake! It’s that simple. I put mine in a casserole dish for my photos today, but you don’t need to do that unless you want to be fancy. Just make it, bake it and serve it right out of the dutch oven!
I hope these beans are as popular at your next BBQ as they have been at ours over the years. Enjoy your holiday weekend and see you back in the kitchen next week!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Baked Three Bean Casserole Recipe:
You can use light red or dark red kidney beans for this recipe.
I add 1/2 cup light brown sugar firmly packed, but if you like things less sweet don’t pack your sugar.
BAKED THREE BEAN CASSEROLE RECIPE VIDEO
- 1/2 lb. bacon, chopped
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1 28-oz. can pork and beans
- 1 20-oz. light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 20-oz. can butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 Tbsp. yellow mustard
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.In a large Dutch oven or deep braiser, over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove from pot with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate.
- Remove all but two tablespoons of bacon fat from pot. Add ground beef and onions and cook over medium-high heat until meat is no longer pink. Drain fat.
- Add all other ingredients and the cooked bacon to the pot. Mix well. Bake for 35 minutes.
Adapted from Casseroles, Casseroles, Casseroles