This creamy One Skillet Orzo with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Spinach is a super easy meal for your weeknight family dinner, yet fancy enough for weekend guests. It’s a hearty vegetarian meal, but it would also be perfect with some added chicken or shrimp.
Who’s up for a super easy weeknight dinner that takes just about 30 minutes to whip up AND it’s all done in one skillet??
And if you’re still looking for a special dinner for your Valentine this year, look no further. This is it!
Creamy One Skillet Orzo with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Spinach
This delicious One Skillet Orzo with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Spinach is a vegetarian meal that’s sure to impress even the carnivores in the family.
It’s such a versatile dish. It can be enjoyed as a main dish, a side dish, a vegetarian meal or you can opt to add some chicken or shrimp. It’s also delicious alongside a nice juicy steak. There are so many options.
I love the simplicity of this pasta dish. You’ll only need a handful of ingredients, yet it’s got so much flavor. My favorite ingredient has to be the sun-dried tomatoes. They’ve got such a robust, sweet-tart flavor and I love the chewy texture.
One Skillet Orzo with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Spinach Ingredients
- orzo pasta
- white wine
- sun-dried tomatoes
- low-sodium chicken broth
- kosher salt and pepper
- baby spinach
- parmesan cheese
First, you’ll toast the orzo with the shallot and garlic, then deglaze the skillet with some white wine before adding sun-dried tomatoes and then your broth and milk. You’ll bring this mixture to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer until the pasta is tender and the liquid is mostly absorbed.
Once most of the liquid is absorbed, you’ll stir in the spinach leaves just until they’re wilted along with the Parmesan. This will only take a minute or two, then just season with some salt and pepper and serve with additional grated Parmesan.
This dish goes perfectly with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay. Please let me know if you give the recipe a try. And if you have any questions about the recipe, just drop a comment below. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for One Skillet Orzo with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and Spinach
As I mentioned above, you can make this meal even heartier by adding some shrimp or chicken.
If you want to thin out your pasta, just add some additional chicken broth to get to the consistency you prefer.
More Delicious Pasta Recipes to Enjoy
One Skillet Orzo with Sun-Dried Tomatoes and SpinachPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 2 medium-sized shallots, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups dried orzo pasta
- 2/3 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups low- sodium chicken broth
- 1 cups milk
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves, stems trimmed
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving
- In a large deep skillet or Dutch oven, heat butter over medium heat. Add chopped shallots and cook 3-4 minutes until softened and translucent, stirring often. Add garlic and continue to cook for 1 minute. Add orzo and cook for 2-3 minutes until lightly toasted, stirring often.
- Add wine and bring to a boil. Cook until almost all wine is evaporated, about 2 minutes. Add the sundried tomatoes followed by the broth and milk. Stir to combine.Bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer until pasta is tender and liquid is mostly absorbed, about 10-15 minutes, stirring often. When most of the liquid is absorbed, you'll stir in the spinach leaves just until they're wilted along with the Parmesan. This will only take a minute or two, then just season with some salt and pepper and serve immediately with additional grated Parmesan. (As the pasta sits it becomes thicker, so if you need to thin it out, just add additional chicken broth.)