A classic Italian comfort food dish, these Easy Spinach Stuffed Shells never fail to impress!
Has anyone ever signed up for Ancestry DNA?
Seriously, I’ve got to sign up and see if there’s even a smidge of Italian in me. I’m thinking there’s only a slim chance, but you’d never know it by my appetite for Italian food.
I don’t think I’ve ever tried an Italian dish I haven’t loved.
Lasagna, meatballs, pasta, risotto, osso buco, breads, antipasto and the list goes on!
I mean really, what’s not to love?
Some of my most popular dishes here at the BHK are Italian. My Lasagna Bolognese, Chicken Osso Buco and Italian Wedding Soup all get rave reviews. They’re all lick your place clean kind of dishes, without a doubt.
When I think comfort food, something pasta is usually the first thing that pops into my mind. And today’s Easy Spinach Stuffed Shells push all my buttons.
Jumbo shells stuffed with a cheesy ricotta mixture, fresh spinach, garlic, oregano, a pinch of red pepper for spice all nestled in a tangy tomato sauce.
It’s Italian comfort food at its best!
This is one dish I always seem to have portion control issues with. They’re just too tough to resist.
Served with a small side salad, perhaps some homemade garlic bread and a glass of wine and mangia mangia! Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Easy Spinach Stuffed Shells Recipe:
I use fresh baby spinach leaves that I steam and squeeze the moisture from after they’ve cooled, but you can also use frozen spinach.
- 1 12-oz. package jumbo shells
- 4 cups whole milk ricotta cheese
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, finely shredded, divided
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 Tbsp. fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 15 oz. fresh baby spinach leaves, steamed until wilted and then squeezed dry and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, if desired for spice
- 3 cups marinara sauce, fresh or jarred
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a large bowl, combine ricotta cheese, 2 cups mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, eggs, parsley, oregano, spinach, garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes.
- In a 13x9-inch baking dish or large casserole dish, spread about 1/2 cup of the marinara sauce. Fill each of the cooked shells evenly with the ricotta mixture. Place 15 of the stuffed shells into the prepared dish. Top with half of the remaining marinara sauce. Top with remaining 15 shells and then top with remainder of marinara. Sprinkle with remaining one cup of shredded mozzarella. Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes or until shells look bubbly.