These Coconut Cream Pie Parfaits are the ultimate treat! Over the top coconut flavor!
I’ve been a fan of coconut cream pie since I was a kid.
We had awesome neighbors growing up. The Clark family lived two doors down. They had 5 kids, we had four. We’d spend the days riding bikes, playing games, swimming in the summer, playing in the snow in the winter and just having plain old kid fun.
My mother and father and the Clarks would go out to dinner on Saturday nights often. My dad was a doctor and sometimes he’d get called into surgery, and disappointed, my mom would need to cancel their dinner date.
One of their favorite restaurants was called the Villa and they had the MOST INCREDIBLE coconut cream pie. It was piled high and sprinkled with tons of toasted coconut. It was my Dad’s favorite and Mr. Clark knew it.
I can remember one night, around 9pm after my mom had to cancel, the doorbell rang. And who was standing on the other side of the door with an entire pie and a big smile….Mr. Clark.
Suffice it to say, I think everyone needs a Mr. Clark in their life. His kindness knew no bounds and he will always have a special place in my heart, along with Mrs. Clark and the entire family.
Today’s Coconut Cream Pie Parfaits are my little spin on that super delicious pie. They’ve got over the top coconut flavor just like that pie back in the day.
I opted for a parfait instead of a pie because I love how easy parfaits are. Just grab a couple of glasses, fill the bottom with a chocolate graham cracker crust, top with some rich, smooth, luscious coconut custard filling and then some fresh whipped cream and toasted coconut flakes. Are you guys drooling yet?
The chocolate graham cracker crust is quick combination of chocolate graham crackers, sugar and butter and the creamy coconut custard is made of milk, canned cream of coconut, eggs, sugar, flour, shredded coconut, salt and vanilla. And they take no time to make. The only hard part is waiting for them to chill.
These parfaits are totally dreamy folks! Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Coconut Cream Pie Parfait
I love the chocolate graham cracker crust, but you can also substitute regular graham crackers.
To make these super easy, I used Cool Whip to top these, but you can also make homemade whipped cream if you’ve got the time.
These parfaits are perfect in mini mason jars also.
Chocolate Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1/2 cups finely ground chocolate graham crackers
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 8 Tbsp. unsalted butter, melted
Coconut Cream Pie Custard
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup canned cream of coconut
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 cups unsweetened, shredded coconut, I use Bob's Red Mill
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Cool Whip, for topping
- toasted coconut flakes, for topping, if desired
Chocolate Graham Cracker Crust
- In a medium bowl, mix graham cracker crumbs with granulated sugar. Add the melted butter and mix with a fork until crumbly. Evenly distribute crumbs into bottoms of 5 glasses.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk and cream of coconut. Cook to a simmer.
- In a medium bowl, combine the eggs, granulated sugar, flour, coconut, salt and vanilla and whisk until smooth. While whisking, add 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixture to the egg mixture. Then pour this mixture into the remaining milk in the saucepan. Bring to a boil, while whisking constantly, until mixture thickens, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Spoon the filling into the glasses on top of the crust. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Before serving top with some Cool Whip and toasted coconut flakes.