These Chocolate Chip Toasted Coconut Scones are a cozy winter breakfast treat!
And just like that Turkey Day is in the rear view mirror and it’s full steam ahead to Christmas friends!
How was everyone’s Thanksgiving? Hope your holiday meal was spectacular.
I spent the weekend relaxing and enjoying time with family and friends. It was totally dreamy.
I sat back and laid off social media for the most part, so today I’m just getting back into the swing of things.
Before we dive into all things Christmas cookie, let’s start December here at the BHK with my favorite, some ultra-cozy tea and scones, shall we?
I’ve always adored the chocolate/toasted coconut combination, so these Chocolate Chip Toasted Coconut Scones are totally ah-mazing if I do say so myself.
They’re buttery and tender with a crispy exterior and such a delicious treat served fresh from the oven.
I’ve made them extra easy too, which you’ll see below in the video (just above the recipe) by making these into drop scones. No shaping or cutting. Just use your standard size ice cream scoop and scoop onto your baking sheet and bake.
Absolutely wonderful with a hot cup of tea, coffee or hot cocoa this winter! Happy December and let’s get ready to get our holiday bake on folks! Enjoy!
A few other favorite scone recipes are my Cherry Vanilla Scones, my Raspberry Lemon Scones, and my Meyer Lemon Cream Scones.
A Few Cook’s Notes for Chocolate Chip Toasted Coconut Scones Recipe:
I’m using a new technique now when making my scones. I actually freeze my stick of butter and then grate it before cutting it into the dry mixture with my pastry cutter.
You can use semi-sweet chocolate or milk chocolate chips for this recipe.
I toast my coconut on a baking sheet in the oven at 350 degrees for 5-7 minutes. Keep a close eye so the coconut doesn’t burn and mix it every so often so it browns evenly.
You can whisk the toasted coconut with the dry ingredients or add at the end with the chocolate chips like in the video. Both ways work.
Chocolate Chip Toasted Coconut Scones Recipe Video
Chocolate Chip Toasted Coconut SconesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup (one stick) unsalted butter, frozen and shredded
- 1/2 cup heavy cream, plus a few tablespoons for brushing tops
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup unsweetened coconut, toasted
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- pure cane or turbinado sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together. Add the butter and cut in with two forks or a pastry cutter until mixture resembles pea sized crumbs.
- In a small bowl, whisk together heavy cream, egg and vanilla. Add to dry mixture along with the toasted coconut and chocolate chips. Mix until dough forms a thick clump.
- Using a standard ice cream scoop, scoop 10 even portions of dough onto prepared sheets. Brush scones with extra heavy cream and sprinkle with sugar. Bake for 18 minutes until golden brown. Remove from oven and let cool on wire rack. Scones are best on the day they are made, but will keep in an airtight container for 1-2 days.
Join the Conversation