Refreshing, sweet and tangy Meyer Lemon Cream Scones are the perfect cure for the mid-winter blues!
The countdown to spring is on friends! It’s 30 days from today! Woot woot! I don’t know about you, but I’m so excited! I really do love the change of seasons, and totally love myself a good snow storm, but as mid-February rolls around I get kind of stir crazy. I really start jonesin’ for some time out in the backyard with the birds chirping and the flowers blooming. How about you?
My favorite solution to help combat the mid-February blues is to incorporate gorgeous citrus fruits into my baked goods. Today’s Meyer Lemon Cream Scones are just the ticket. They’re refreshing, sweet and tangy! The Meyer lemon is a cross between a lemon and either a mandarin or a regular orange, so it’s like getting two citrus fruits in one. They’re rounder than a regular lemon with a thinner skin and a deeper yellow color with a slight orange tint. They’re also sweeter than regular lemons and somewhat less acidic.
When I make scones, I usually shape the dough into a large circle and then cut it into triangles, but this time I decided to change it up. I rolled out the dough and cut it into 2 inch rounds with my biscuit cutter. They’re the perfect small size with my morning coffee or afternoon cup of tea. I also added a fabulous lemon glaze which is a combination of confectioner’s sugar, Meyer lemon juice and zest. You’re going to love it!
Enjoy friends! Have a great weekend and think SPRING!
Meyer Lemon Cream SconesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. Meyer lemon zest about 2 Meyer lemons
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter cut into small cubes
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup heavy cream plus a little extra for brushing tops of scones before baking
- Lemon Glaze:
- 1 cup confectioner's sugar sifted
- 1 tsp. Meyer lemon zest
- 3 Tbsp. Meyer lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and lemon zest in the bowl of a stand mixer. Whisk together.
- Add the butter and mix on low-speed until mixture resembles pea-sized crumbs.
- Slowly add the heavy cream and egg until the dough forms a thick clump.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface.
- Roll the dough out into a large rectangle 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut out 18 rounds using a 2 inch biscuit cutter.
- Place on prepared tray. Brush with some extra heavy cream.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Lemon Glaze:
- Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and whisk together.
- Drizzle over warm scones.
Join the Conversation