This Coconut Chocolate Chip Skillet Banana Bread and a tall glass of milk is what breakfast dreams are made of!
It’s time to grab yourself a nice cold glass of milk and belly up to the breakfast bar my friends!
How was everyone’s 4th of July?! Hoping you all had a relaxing extra loooooong weekend filled with family, friends and lots of fun! It was gorgeous at the beach. A bit steamy, but a quick little dip in the ocean was just the ticket!
I figured something a little extra special was needed this Monday morning to help us all get back into work mode for the week. And this Coconut Chocolate Chip Skillet Banana Bread is the perfect solution!
Banana bread is a regular at our house when I’ve got extra over-ripe bananas sitting on the kitchen counter. And not that banana bread could ever be boring, but sometimes I like to jazz it up just a bit.
I decided today’s jazzed up version wouldn’t be the usual old loaf, but skillet style instead. And since it’s a Monday, AND a Monday after a long extended holiday weekend, chocolate would absolutely need to be added. AND since we’re going with chocolate, why not add some coconut, since you can never go wrong with the chocolate coconut combo.
The prep for this bread is super quick, at just 15 minutes. And it only takes 30 minutes to bake. So set aside some of those brown bananas, grab yourself a glass of milk and treat yourself! Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Coconut Chocolate Chip Skillet Banana Bread
I added two kinds of coconut to this bread. I used some unsweetened coconut (I use Bob’s Red Mill) in the batter, and then I topped the batter with some toasted coconut chips (I use Dang Toasted Coconut Chips).
I add three, on the larger side bananas that are over-ripe. Look for nice, soft bananas with lots of brown spots.
I used my 10-inch cast iron skillet for this recipe, but you can also use a 9×5-inch loaf pan or a 10-inch circular baking dish.
More Delicious Breakfast Bread Recipes to Enjoy
- 1 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3 large, overripe bananas
- 1/2 cup (one stick) butter, melted
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup unsweetened coconut
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, divided
- 1/2 cup toasted coconut chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place rack in middle of oven.
- Spray a 10-inch skillet generously with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cinnamon and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas with a fork. Add the melted butter. Add the sugar, egg and vanilla and stir with a rubber spatula until well blended.
- Stir in the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Fold in the unsweetened coconut and 1/2 cup of the chocolate chips. Pour batter into prepared pan, smoothing the top with an offset spatula. Sprinkle with extra 1/2 cup chocolate chips and the 1/2 cup toasted coconut chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a tester inserted in the center of the skillet comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool until just warm. Cut into wedges and serve.