This easy Chicken, Black Bean and Tortilla Casserole is a hearty, flavorful, healthyish dish that’s perfect to celebrate Cinco de Mayo this year!
I’ve missed you guys!
Tom and I decided to change things up a bit this Easter.
Instead of celebrating the holiday at the beach, we decided to pack up the Airstream and head to Nashville, Tennessee!
If you follow me on IG, I hope you caught some of the fun on my stories!
If you didn’t, fear not, I’ll be sharing soon here on the blog.
Nashville has always been on my bucket list, so now I can happily say that it’s been crossed off and was so worth a visit!
With the Easter holiday behind us, it’s full steam ahead to Cinco de Mayo!
And since I adore all things Mexican, I had to share a little something here at the BHK.
This Chicken, Black Bean and Tortilla Casserole is a hearty, flavorful, healthyish dish that’s incredibly easy to throw together on those busy weeknights when you’ve got a hankering for Mexican food!
Healthy veggies like tomatoes, black beans, onions, green chiles and corn combined with some shredded rotisserie chicken and then layered with shredded cheddar jack cheese and corn tortillas will satisfy the heartiest of appetities.
In addition, I’ve added some medium picante sauce, cumin, chili pwder, oregano and garlic to spice things up.
I’ll also be sharing a quick little appy shortly for your Cinco de Mayo celebration, so stay tuned.
Hope ya’ll give this one a go! You won’t be disappointed! Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Chicken, Black Bean and Tortilla Casserole Recipe:
I used medium picante sauce, but if you like things less spicy, use mild.
To make things super simple I purchased already shredded rotisserie chicken from my local market. Always a time saver!
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 14.5-oz. can fire roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 7-oz. can corn, drained
- 1 7-oz. can diced green chiles, drained
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 1/2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 10 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese
- chopped cilantro, for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in latrge skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5-6 minutes, stirring often. Add garlic and cook for one more minute. Add tomatoes, corn, green chiles, picante sauce, cumin, chili powder and oregano. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, uncovered for 8-10 minutes. Stir in the beans and the chicken.
- Spread one-third of the chicken mixture over the bottom of the prepared dish. Top, overlapping with five tortillas that have been cut into quarters and 1 cup of the shredded cheese. Add another one-third of the chicken mixture. Top with remaining 5 tortillas, chicken mixture and remaining 1 cup cheese.
- Bake, covered for 25-30 minutes until heated through. Remove from oven and let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with chopped cilantro, is desired.