This Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup is a simple favorite that’s packed with healthy ingredients and loads of flavor!
This recipe was originally posted here at the BHK in 2015. I decided it was worthy of a reshare, so I updated the photos and text. Enjoy!
So guys, I posted this recipe for this Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup way, way back when the BHK was just a baby.
Back then, most of you probably never even heard of The Beach House Kitchen. I think my biggest fans were Tom, our boys, my sisters and a few close friends.
When I’m looking for an easy peasy soup recipe that’s loaded with flavor, this is no doubt the first soup that comes to mind. I mean who doesn’t enjoy Mexican food, right? So I always know it’ll be a winner with friends and family.
Another reason it’s a favorite is because it’s healthy. I mean just glance at the ingredient list. White meat chicken, tomatoes, corn, beans, onions, red pepper, a smidge of shredded cheese AND it’s not thickened with any milk or cream, just corn tortillas.
And it’s topped with some homemade crunchy tortilla strips that take minutes to make for an added little bonus.
I call that winning at dinner folks, don’t you?
This is one soup that’s hearty enough to enjoy as your main dish too. Enjoy!
Hope you can pop back to the blog this Thursday folks. I’ll be sharing a Cheddar Bacon Jalapeño Muffin that’s the perfect complement to a bowl of this delicious soup!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup Recipe:
This soup is delicious with the chicken and without. To make it extra easy, I opt for store-bought shredded rotisserie chicken.
I use canned corn for this recipe during the winter season and fresh corn schucked right off the cob during the summer.
I like to use Monterey Jack cheese, but to keep the recipe even healthier you can just omit the cheese. I have also used cheddar cheese for this recipe.
The crunchy tortilla strip are optional, but highly encouraged. They take minutes to make and you’ll probably have extra in the package.
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup red onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup red pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 5 1/2-inch corn tortillas, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 15-oz. can petite diced tomatoes, undrained
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1 15-oz. can corn, drained
- 1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 3/4 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded, plus extra for sprinkling
- tortilla strips, for garnish
- salt and pepper, to taste
Crunchy Tortilla Strips Garnish
- 3 corn tortillas, cut into 2-inch thin strips
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Heat oil in large saute pan over medium high heat. Add the onions, peppers and garlic. Saute 5 minutes. Stir in tortilla pieces and continue to cook for 3 minutes or until tortillas are softened. Add tomatoes, chicken stock, chili powder, cumin, cayenne and salt. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat. Let cool for 5 minutes, then puree SMALL portions at a time in a blender until smooth. DO NOT overfill the blender or you'll be sprayed with hot soup. Return pureed soup to the pot.
- Add the chicken, corn and the black beans. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 5-10 minutes until thickened. Lower heat and add in shredded cheese. Stir until melted. Season with salt and pepper and garnish with extra cheese and tortilla strips.
Crunchy Tortilla Strips Garnish
- To make the tortilla strips spray a baking sheet with no-stick cooking spray. Lay the tortilla strips onto the sheet in a single layer. Combine chili powder and salt. Lightly spray tortilla pieces with no-stick cooking spray. Lightly sprinkle tortilla pieces with salt mixture. Bake at 375 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until lightly browned.