This healthy Carrot Farro Salad with Dates and Maple Vinaigrette is loaded with texture and sweet and savory flavor! It’s ready in no time and packed with fiber and protein!
It’s been a hot minute since I shared a tasty little salad here at the BHK, hasn’t it?
For some reason I’ve had salad on the brain over the last week or so.
You all know I wasn’t born a salad fan, but over the years I’ve really come around. I actually enjoy them now. I not only enjoy them as a side, but even as my main meal sometimes. Who am I??
Delicious, Healthy Carrot Farro Salad with Dates and Maple Vinaigrette
Today’s Carrot Farro Salad is my newest salad combo and it’s super delish!
I wanted something hearty, hence the farro, and I wanted something crunchy, hence the carrots, but also something a bit sweet yet savory, hello dates and maple vinaigrette. This salad is a tasty combination of flavors and textures that’s sure to delight your tastebuds.
Carrot Farro Salad with Dates Ingredients
- pitted Medjool dates
- salt and pepper to taste
Maple Vinaigrette Ingredients
- maple syrup
- apple cider vinegar
- granulated sugar
- kosher salt and pepper
- olive oil
If you’re not familiar with farro, it’s an ancient grain that’s packed full of protein, fiber, minerals, vitamins and antioxidants. It has a chewy texture and a nutty flavor.
And since this salad is all about healthy, I added the Medjool dates for some sweetness, added calcium, Vitamin K and magnesium. I’m watching out for us guys!
Hope you add this salad to your weekly menu folks! Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Carrot Farro Salad with Dates and Maple Vinaigrette
You can use as much of the vinaigrette as you desire for the salad.
I added about 3/4 cup of the chopped dates. You can add more or less.
I used my vegetable peeler to shred my carrots. If you have a food processor you can use your coarse shredding blade instead.
Season your salad with salt and pepper to your taste.
More Delicious Salads to Enjoy
- 1 cup farro, rinsed
- 1 lb. carrots, peeled
- 3/4 cup Pitted Medjool dates, chopped (I use Natural Delights)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Maple Vinaigrette Dressing
- 1 large shallot, peeled and chopped, about 1/4 cup
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. mayonnaise
- 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Bring 2 quarts of water to a boil with one teaspoon salt. Add the rinsed farro and return to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-high and boil, uncovered until soft, about 30 minutes. Drain.
- While farro is cooking, shred carrots with either a vegetable peeler into thin strips or with your coarse shredding blade on your food processor. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Add the cooled farro to the carrots in the large bowl. Add the chopped dates and about 1/2 cup of the dressing. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with remaining vinaigrette dressing.
Maple Vinaigrette Dressing
- Pulse shallot, maple syrup, mayonnaise, apple cider vinegar, sugar, salt and pepper in a blender or small food processor to combine. With the machine running, gradually pour the oil in through the top vent to emulsify.