This Balsamic Pasta with Chicken Sausage, Broccoli and Mushrooms is a zesty, indulgent dish that’s sure to please the entire family!
Sorry I was MIA on Monday. I missed you guys, but life’s been pretty hectic around here lately. Plus, it’s still summer, so a little day off and some fun was totally in order!
Believe it or not, last week Mother Nature gave us a little break. The heat and humidity finally went down a bit, and it was totally comfortable to sit outside on the back porch with a glass of wine and enjoy our dinner. It’s seems like it’s been forever!
I even broke out the pasta pot and made this Balsamic Pasta with Chicken Sausage, Broccoli and Mushrooms, to rave reviews, I might add! (Well, not at first, but once he gave it a try it was a big thumbs up!)
Let’s begin at the beginning, shall we?
When Mr. Picky asked what we were having for dinner and I mentioned this tangy pasta dish, you know I got some flack. And actually, not because of the veggies. He happens to love broccoli and mushrooms.
First, it was, I don’t like chicken sausage. So I said, well, you don’t like chicken sausage because the first time you tried it, (when I wasn’t home and he had to fend for himself), you thought you could use your fabulous kitchen skills and cook it up in the microwave like a hot dog.
Yes friends, if you can’t cook it in the microwave or eat it cold, Tom is not making it. So most of the time, if I’m not around, it’s PB&J, a hot dog or cold cuts. Pathetic little fellow, isn’t he?
So of course, the first time he tried chicken sausage he cooked it in the microwave (first mistake) and then undercooked it and said it was terrible. Total mush. I hate chicken sausage he says.
Next up, it was the balsamic vinegar. I don’t like balsamic vinegar he says. Ok. So when have you tasted balsamic vinegar Tom, because I know for sure it wasn’t in a salad? His response…I don’t know. I just know I won’t like it. Ugh! Classic 50 year old man trapped in a 5 year old body.
Well I said, this is what’s for dinner. Take it or leave it. He must have been hungry because he took it.
And much to his surprise (and mine) he loved it. Miracles can happen folks!
The chicken sausage isn’t mushy he says. I know Tom. I cooked it in a skillet until it was done right. Not a microwave.
And wow, this pasta has a nice zesty flavor to it. Oh really Tom? That would be the balsamic. You know? The stuff you don’t like.
A Few Cook’s Notes for Balsamic Pasta with Chicken Sausage, Broccoli and Mushrooms Recipe:
I used Aidells Italian Style Smoked Chicken Sausage with Mozzarella Cheese, but feel free to use your favorite flavor.
I cooked the chicken sausage in my kitchen skillet over medium heat until lightly browned, about 8-10 minutes. You can also grill the sausage if you’d like.
I used casarecce pasta, but feel free to substitute penne, bowties or any other short pasta you like.
The balsamic is combined with a bit of heavy cream and parmesan to make a smooth, indulgent sauce that will turn your ordinary pasta dish into a family favorite.
This easy, comforting dish is perfect for those busy weeknights, especially when the kids are back in school. No need for sides because all the veggies are included. And no sides means no extra dishes which makes cleanup even easier.
Hope y’all enjoy it as much as Mr. Picky!
- 12 oz. Casarecce pasta
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 18 oz. smoked chicken sausages, I used aidells (six sausages)
- 3/4 lb. broccoli, cleaned, trimmed and cut into florets
- 8 oz. baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese,
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Heat one tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sausage and cook for 8-10 minutes until lightly browned and heated though. Remove from pan and cut into chunks on the diagonal. Set aside.
- Steam broccoli in a steamer basket set over some boiling water for 4-5 minutes until just slightly tender. Remove from heat.
- To the same large skillet, add remaining one tablespoon oil and one tablespoon of the butter along with the mushrooms. Cook for 4-5 minutes over medium heat. Add the minced garlic and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the broccoli, sausage, balsamic vinegar, heavy cream, remaining three tablespoons butter and Parmesan cheese. Cook for 2-3 minutes until heated through. Remove from the heat. Add the cooked pasta and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper and add the fresh parsley. Serve immediately.Serve with additional Parmesan cheese is desired.