This Pasta Primavera is a year round favorite! Customize it with what veggies are seasonally available!
I don’t know about you folks, but I can never pass up a bowl of pasta. There’s just something so comforting about it.
I don’t indulge often, but when I do, it’s gotta be good.
What I love about pasta primavera in general is that you can customize it based on the season. This is not just a spring/summer dish guys. You can enjoy it all year long.
For today’s Pasta Primavera, I’ve added broccoli, red and yellow peppers, grape tomatoes, carrots, red onion, garlic and some fresh basil.
I’m not a fan of limp, soggy veggies, so I add the broccoli, peppers and carrots to a large bowl and then pour some boiling water over them and let them sit for just about 4 minutes. Then I drain the bowl and rinse the veggies under some cold water to stop the cooking. This ensures nice crisp veggies in the pasta.
While the pasta is cooking, I sauté the tomatoes, onions and a bit of garlic in some olive oil in a large skillet. Then I add the blanched veggies and continue to sauté for about 3-4 minutes before adding the cooked pasta, some heavy cream, parmesan and butter. I top it off with some fresh chopped basil and dinner is served.
It’s an incredibly tasty, decadent dish that’s loaded with more than your needed daily dose of veggies! Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Pasta Primavera Recipe:
I used a combination of broccoli, red and yellow peppers, carrots, red onion and tomatoes, but feel free to substitute your favorite veggies.
The pasta I used here is called chifferi, but any type of pasta will work.
I blanch the broccoli, peppers and carrots first and then sauté later for about 4 minutes. I like my veggies to be a tad crunchy, but continue to sauté yours if you like them softer.
- 4 cups broccoli florets
- 2 cups red bell pepper, cut into thin strips (about 3 inches long)
- 2 cups yellow bell pepper, cut into thin strips (about 3 inches long)
- 2 cups carrots, cut into thin strips (about 3 inches long)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 1/2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1 medium red onion, sliced into strips
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 16 oz. pasta noodles, I used chifferi
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 Tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Add the broccoli, red and yellow peppers and carrots to a large bowl. Pour boiling water over veggies making sure they are totally covered. Let stand for 4 minutes. Drain and then rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat saute tomatoes and onion for 3-4 minutes until tomatoes start to burst. Add garlic and continue to cook for one minute. Add the blanched veggies and cook for an additional 4 minutes. While veggies are cooking, cook pasta according to package directions.
- Add pasta to veggies. Add heavy cream, Parmesan cheese and butter and gently toss until butter is melted and mixture is well combined. Pour mixture into a large bowl, Season with salt and pepper and top with chopped basil. Serve immediately with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.