A quick little Mother’s Day dessert, this Lemon Posset is velvety smooth and totally refreshing. It’s topped with fresh berries and sure to impress Mom on her special day!
If you guys want to make Mom the tastiest little dessert, yet still have lots of time to spend waiting on her hand and foot this Sunday, this Lemon Posset needs to be your go-to dessert for your Mother’s Day celebration!
Talk about easy peasy. Hello. 3 ingredients and a handful of fresh berries, and you’ve got an elegant, rich and creamy custard-like treat, with a fantastic blast of lemon flavor that’s just divine!
If you’re not familiar with posset, it originated in England as a creamy beverage curdled with wine, ale or liquor and flavored with spices. Recently, it’s been revamped by English chefs. Today’s posset is totally different. It’s a chilled dessert that’s got a fabulous velvety texture similar to a mousse or pudding that’s typically flavored with lemon. It’s made from three simple ingredients, sugar, cream and lemons.
A Few Cook’s Notes for Lemon Posset recipe:
- It is important to boil the cream, sugar and lemon zest mixture for 8-12 minutes to reduce it to 2 cups exactly before adding the lemon juice.
- The mixture will need to cool for 20 minutes before straining to remove any zest in addition to any skin that has formed.
- You’ll need to portion the posset into six individual servings. I used 4 oz. mini Ball jars and filled each with 1/3 cup. The dessert is very rich, so 1/3 cup was just the perfect size.
- I topped each portion with a few fresh berries and served with shortbread cookies. Fabulous combo!
In addition to Mother’s Day this is one dessert that will be on repeat all summer long at our house at the beach. It’s so refreshing and light and perfect for when I’ve got guests coming. Who wants to slave over difficult desserts when you’d rather be having fun with friends and family?
A Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms and moms-to-be out there! I hope you have a much deserved relaxing weekend filled with fun and lots of love! Enjoy!
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp. lemon zest, grated
- 6 Tbsp. lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 1/2 cups strawberries, blueberries, blackberries
In a medium sauce pan, combine cream, sugar and lemon zest. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Continue boiling, stirring often until sugar is dissolved. If mixture starts to boil over, carefully remove from heat. Continue to boil until mixture is reduced to 2 cups, about 8-12 minutes.
Remove mixture from heat and stir in the lemon juice. Cool mixture slightly until skins forms on top, about 20 minutes. Strain though a fine mesh sieve. Discard zest. Divide the mixture into 6 individual glasses, jars or ramekins.
Refrigerate uncovered for 3 hours until set. Once mixture has chilled for 3 hours each portion can be covered with plastic wrap in refrigerator for up to 2 days. Let sit at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh berries
Recipe adapted from Cook’s Illustrated All-Time Best Spring Recipes