This Simple Strawberry Cake is the perfect easy dessert recipe for all your spring and summer parties. Even the most novice baker in the kitchen can handle this recipe. It’s incredibly moist and jam-packed with sweet juicy strawberries and topped with a whipped creamy frosting that you’re sure to LOVE!
I know as a food blogger I’m supposed to say I make everything from scratch. But that would be a fib. I’m a real person. A real person who sometimes just wants to take the easy way out.
Yes, I use box brownie mix. Yes, I use box cake mix. There I said it.
Easy Peasy Ridiculously Simple Strawberry Cake
I have been making this Simple Strawberry Cake for years. I change out the fruit to make a simple blueberry lemon cake sometimes or a simple raspberry lime cake when I’m in the mood. You get the picture right? It’s a versatile cake that takes literally minutes to make that even my boys or Mr. Picky could whip for say Mom on Mother’s Day….hint hint.
Simple Strawberry Cake Ingredients
- box yellow cake mix
- box instant vanilla pudding mix
- vegetable oil
- vanilla extract
- granulated sugar
Whipped Cream Frosting ingredients
- cream cheese
- confectioners’ sugar
- vanilla extract
- heavy whipping cream
If you’ve never tried a cake with some added boxed pudding mix I guarantee this won’t be the last time you’ll give it a go. It makes the cake ultra-moist and enhances the flavor of your cake.
The cake itself takes minutes to prepare as does the frosting. The whipped creamy frosting is a combination of softened cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla extract and heavy cream. You’ll first whip the cream cheese and confectioners’ sugar until it’s nice and smooth, then you’ll turn your mixer down and slowly add your heavy cream. Once all the heavy cream is added you can add your vanilla extract and whip it on medium-high until you see stiff peaks begin to form. It’s beyond creamy and not overly sweet.
For the topping, I mixed some sliced strawberries with some granulated sugar and once the cake was cooled and frosted I added the extra sliced berries to the top. So much strawberry flavor.
If you’ve yet to decide on a special dessert for Mom this weekend I hope you treat her to this cake! I bet she’d LOVE it!
Please let me know if you give the recipe a try. And if you have any questions about the recipe, just drop a comment below. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Simple Strawberry Cake
As I mentioned above, this cake is also delicious if you substitute the strawberries for blueberries and perhaps use some instant lemon pudding mix instead of vanilla.
My favorite cake mix for this recipe is Duncan Hines Perfectly Moist Classic Yellow Cake Mix.
More Delicious Cake Recipes to Enjoy
Simple Strawberry CakePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 15.25-oz. box Duncan Hines Perfectly Moist Classic Yellow Cake Mix
- 1 3.4-oz. box Instant Vanilla Pudding Mix
- 4 large eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped strawberries
Creamy Whipped Frosting
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar, sifted
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 3 cups strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9x13 pan with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, mix together the cake and pudding mixes until well combined. Add the eggs, water, vegetable oil and vanilla and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Fold in the chopped strawberries.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing the top with an offset spatula. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool the cake completely before topping with the frosting and the berries.
Creamy Whipped Frosting
- Add the cream cheese and confectioners' sugar to a bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a whip attachment and beat on medium speed until smooth.
- Turn the mixer down to low and slowly add the heavy cream, scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. When you've added all the heavy cream add the vanilla and turn the mixer to medium-high and whip until the frosting holds stiff peaks.
- In a large bowl, combine strawberries and sugar and mix until well combined.