This Tomato Tortellini Stew is a soup that eats like a meal! Packed with veggies, meat and pasta, it’s sure to be a family favorite!
Updated: This post was first published here at the BHK in November 2017. I decided it was worthy of a reshare, so I’ve added a VIDEO, some new photos and notes to the post below.
Time flies fast, doesn’t it?! We’re in full blown soup season at the BHK.
We enjoy it for lunch and dinner. Creamy soups, brothy soups and soul-satisfying soups to keep us warm all through the fall and winter months.
You guys know I’m a summer girl at heart, but soups, stews, comfort food dishes and of course some pumpkin make fall totally welcome.
The Best Tomato Tortellini Stew Recipe
This tomato tortellini stew is one of our faves! It eats like a meal, but you won’t feel like you’ve overdone it after a bowl, so a cookie or two for dessert won’t be a total no-no.
And talk about a total cinch to make. This recipe takes just 30 minutes from start to finish.
This stew is packed with lots of healthy veggies. It’s got tomatoes, cannellini beans, spinach, onions and vegetable broth. And the cheese tortellini and Italian sausage make it nice and hearty and so satisfying. Check out the full list below.
Tomato Tortellini Stew Ingredients
- olive oil
- Italian sausage
- yellow onion
- garlic cloves
- kosher salt and pepper
- crushed red pepper
- diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
- vegetable broth
- cannellini beans
- fresh baby spinach leaves
- refrigerated cheese tortellini
- heavy cream
- Parmesan cheese
Hope you add it to your soup menu this season. Enjoy!
Don’t forget to check out the VIDEO below to see just how easy it is to prepare this stew for your family. It’s right above the recipe card!
A Few Cook’s Notes
I like to use hot Italian sausage, but feel free to use sweet if you’d rather. It depends how spicy you like things.
I use fresh cheese tortellini that you can find in your grocer’s refrigerated section.
I’ve added a bit of cream to make it nice and smooth and garnished it with some grated parm.
The stew is perfect with some crusty bread for dipping and a nice glass of wine. You’re going to love how comforting it is guys!
More Hearty Soup Recipes to Enjoy
This Tomato Tortellini Stew is a soup that eats like a meal! Packed with veggies, meat and pasta, it's sure to be a family favorite!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. Italian sausage hot or sweet, casing removed
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes or 1/2 tsp. if you like it spicy
- 1 28- oz. can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 1 32- oz. package vegetable broth I use Pacific Foods
- 1 cup water
- 1 15- oz. can cannellini beans drained and rinsed
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves chopped
- 1 9- oz. package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add Italian sausage and cook until no longer pink, about 3-5 minutes, crumbling as it cooks. Drain fat.
Add butter, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and cook until onions are translucent, about 3-4 minutes.
Add tomatoes, vegetable broth and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
Stir in the cannellini beans and spinach leaves and simmer until spinach leaves are wilted, about 1-2 minutes.
Add the cream and the tortellini and simmer for an additional 3-5 minutes or until the pasta is just tender. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with parmesan cheese.
- Feel free to use sweet sausage instead of the hot one. It depends how spicy you like things.
- You can find fresh cheese tortellini in your grocer's refrigerated section.
- Add a bit of cream to make the stew nice and smooth and garnish it with some grated parm.
- This dish is best with some crusty bread for dipping and a nice glass of wine. You're going to love it!