This Roasted Asian Cauliflower and Carrots is a simple side dish that’s high on sweet and savory flavors. It’s ready in less than 20 minutes and also works well as a healthy meal served in lettuce cups!
What the heck is going on this winter??
I’m seeing snow, snow and more snow, ALL over the map. Freezing temps and power outages. YIKES Mother Nature! Relax!
I had planned on sharing a dessert today, but thought this Chicken Parmesan Soup was more of what the doctor ordered.
When the temps begin to plummet, some kind of comfort food always comes to mind. All kind of soups, pasta dishes like my crazy good mac and cheese or easy skillet stovetop lasagna, my chicken pot pie or maybe my Hungarian beef goulash. All cozy, comfort food dishes that satisfy the heartiest of appetites and warm the soul.
This Chicken Parmesan Soup is just that kind of meal. Cozy and filling.
It’s packed with white meat chicken, pasta, crushed tomatoes and parmesan cheese. It’s flavored with lots of fresh basil, Italian seasoning and some red pepper flakes for spice. I like to serve it with some additional fresh basil leaves and fresh mozzarella ciliengine cheese (small cherry size mozzarella balls). And sometimes some homemade croutons.
Chicken Parmesan Soup Ingredients
• boneless, skinless chicken breasts
• tomato paste
• crushed tomatoes
• chicken broth
• short pasta
• Parmesan cheese
• salt, pepper, red pepper flakes
• fresh mozzarella ciliengine cheese for garnish
We enjoy this soup for lunch or even as our dinner with some crusty Italian bread. In a pinch you can make the recipe even easier by substituting some store-bought shredded rotisserie chicken for the chicken breasts. Either way, it’s super easy. Hope you add this recipe to your soup menu this winter season guys. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Chicken Parmesan Soup
You can use any kind of short pasta for this recipe. Ditatlini, penne or elbows will work perfectly.
As mentioned above, I love to garnish my soup with fresh mozzarella ciliengine cheese. They are the size of cherry tomatoes, so I use two or three, along with additional chopped fresh basil leaves.
As the soup sits, the pasta will soak up the liquid, so just add additional broth or water as needed.
Chicken Parmesan SoupPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breasts, about 1-1 1/2 lbs, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups short pasta, uncooked
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup basil leaves, chopped, plus a few extra for garnish
- fresh mozzarella ciliengine cheese, for garnish, if desired
- Add the olive oil to a large Dutch oven and heat over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the chicken, onion, salt and pepper and cook until chicken is cooked through, about 5-6 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and cook one more minute. Add the tomato paste, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. Stir until well combined. Add the crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and pasta. Raise the heat to medium-high and bring the mixture to a boil. Once the mixture comes to a boil, reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until pasta is al dente, about 8-10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the Parmesan cheese and basil leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour into bowls and garnish with fresh mozzarella cheese balls and basil leaves, if desired.
Join the Conversation