This simple Lentil Chick Pea Soup will warm you to the bone. It’s a protein-packed, hearty soup recipe with just the right amount of spice.
I hear the weather’s been a bit blustery in some areas, so today I’m sharing this super duper delicious, hearty Lentil Chick Pea Soup to keep y’all warm to the bone!
It’s also come to my attention that I did not have a lentil soup recipe here at the BHK, which is crazy, because it’s one of our favorites. So to everyone who requested, this one’s especially for you.
I’ve added the chick peas to make this comforting soup even more satisfying, but let’s just say, Mr. Picky was not on board. He would be if he actually tried one, but you know Mr. Picky. He’s tossed aside his big boy pants and he’s standing his ground. Without pants. Whatev.
I actually make this with the chick peas and sometimes without, so if you’re not a fan of chick peas like you know who, just omit them. It’s delicious either way. I’m all for adding them not just because I love them, but because it makes this soup feel more like a total meal, so I’m not looking for a snack in an hour or two, and that’s important to me.
You’ll need to do some chopping for this recipe. A combination of carrots, celery and onion. But put on a few of your favorite tunes and get to chopping and it’ll be done before you know it.
Lentil Chick Pea Soup Ingredients
• green lentils
• chick peas
• low sodium chicken broth
• paprika, thyme, cumin, bay leaf, cilantro, salt and pepper
• crushed tomatoes
• balsamic vinegar
I like to serve my soup with some warm naan (here’s my recipe) with a teaspoon or two of balsamic vinegar at the end for some tang, and some chopped cilantro.
So if you’re looking for something to keep you warm through and through and totally satisfied, this Lentil Chick Pea Soup is just what you need this winter! Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Lentil Chick Pea Soup
As mentioned above, if you’re not a chick pea fan, you can just omit them from the recipe.
You can use green or brown lentils for this recipe. I used green.
If you want to make the recipe vegetarian you can omit the pancetta.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 4 oz. pancetta, diced
- 2 cups yellow onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cups dried green lentils, rinsed and picked through
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 14-oz. can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped, if desired
- Add olive oil to a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pancetta and cook for 4 minutes, stirring often. Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook until tender, stirring often, about 8-10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook an additional minute. Stir in the lentils, crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, paprika, thyme leaves, cumin, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the lentils are tender, about 35 minutes. Add the chick peas and balsamic vinegar and cook for an additional 5 minutes, until heated through. Remove bay leaf. Season to taste and serve with chopped fresh cilantro, if desired.