Nothing fends off the cooler temps of fall better than this Creamy Broccoli Soup. It’s rich, ultra-creamy and flavorful and ready in no time!
The last few weeks I’ve been seeing more and more soup recipes popping into my IG and Pinterest feeds.
I’m not sure about you guys, but I’m a soup lover all year long.
Soup is a cozy, hearty meal in a bowl for me and when you serve it with perhaps a grilled cheese on the side like I do with my Creamy Tomato Basil Soup, I’m all about it!
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
This recipe only requires a handful of ingredients with a prep time of 15 minutes and a cook time of just about 30 minutes.
The soup is so smooth and delicious. Perfect the night it’s made, but also wonderful for leftovers the next day, if you happen to have any.
It also freezes well for up to 2-3 months.
Ingredients You’ll Need
- yellow onion
- all-purpose flour
- whole milk
- chicken bouillon
- kosher salt and black pepper
- heavy whipping cream
- shredded cheddar cheese
I make lots of different kinds of soups all throughout the year, but I’ve been making this soup longer than any other because the recipe was handed down to me by my mother.
I always purée mine with my immersion blender or you can do it in a regular blender too (in small amounts ONLY, so you don’t have any explosions), just leaving a few chunks of broccoli for texture.
First, you’ll melt your butter in large pot or Dutch oven and then add the chopped onion and sauté until translucent.
You will stir in the flour and cook for a minute followed by the milk, whisking until incorporated.
At this point you want to Increase the heat and continue to stir until mixture is smooth and begins to thicken.
Stir in the broccoli, chicken bouillon, salt, pepper and nutmeg and bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes until broccoli is tender.
I use an immersion blender to puree the soup, but you can also use a blender and then stir in the cream and continue to cook until heated through.
I top mine with some shredded cheddar and serve it with a nice sourdough bread for dipping. If you prefer, you can always opt to add some cheese into the soup while cooking. I sometimes add a cup or so of the shredded cheese to the soup for a tasty cheesy flavor.
This recipe is a MUST for your soup menu this fall! It’s super comforting and soul satisfying. Hope you give it a go.
Please let me know if you give the recipe a try. And if you have any questions about the recipe, just drop a comment below. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Creamy Broccoli Soup
You can use a chicken bouillon cube or chicken bouillon granules. (I like to use Knorr Chicken Bouillon)
If you do not have an immersion blender, you can purée the soup in your blender in very small amounts. Do not overfill or you will get burned when the blender explodes.
- 1/2 cup (one stick) butter
- 1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 tsp. chicken bouillon, I use Knorr's
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- dash nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- shredded cheddar, for garnish, if desired
- Melt butter in large pot or Dutch oven over medium-low heat. Add onion and saute, stirring often until translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for 1 minute until flour is cooked but not brown, stirring constantly.
- Slowly add the milk, whisking constantly until incorporated. Increase heat and continue to stir until mixture is smooth and begins to thicken.
- Stir in broccoli, chicken bouillon, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer for about 30 minutes until broccoli is tender.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup. Stir in the cream and continue to cook until heated through. Add salt and pepper to taste, if needed. Serve immediately.