No joke folks, these are The BEST One Pot Cheesy Potatoes! They’re a special side dish for the holiday season or really any weeknight dinner. They’re just perfect alongside a nice juicy steak and so easy to make because you’ll use some already cubed refrigerated potatoes from the market!
Are you all cookie’d out yet guys??
I still have a few cookie/dessert recipes to share before Christmas, but I thought I’d jump in here today with The BEST One Pot Cheesy Potatoes for your holiday dinner table!
I don’t take the word “best” lightly folks. It’s not something I throw around without something spectacular to back it up.
I’m hoping from the photos you can see just how delicious these potatoes really are and want to make them for yourself. They’re creamy and cheesy and absolutely decadent. One spoonful and you’ll be hooked, take it from me!
The Best One Pot Cheesy Potatoes Ingredients
- refrigerated cubed potatoes
- yellow onion
- garlic cloves
- all-purpose flour
- low-sodium chicken broth
- heavy cream
- Montreal steak seasoning
- kosher salt and pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese (I use Kraft Triple Cheddar Creamy Melt)
- chopped chives
I’ve made the recipe even easier by using refrigerated cubed potatoes from your local market. No need to go to the trouble of peeling and cubing your own potatoes.
The sauce is a combination of some onions and garlic that you’ll sauté right in your cast iron braiser or oven-proof deep skillet, before adding some flour to make a roux, followed by some chicken broth and heavy cream until the mixture thickens, then finally adding your spices and some of the shredded cheese and potatoes.
You’ll bake the potatoes for 25 minutes before topping with the remaining cheese and baking for an additional 10 minutes until the cheese on top is melted and bubbly.
When you remove them from the oven you’ll let them stand for about 10 minutes before finally topping with some fresh chopped chives and serving.
I hope you folks adds this delicious side to your holiday table this year! Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for The Best One Pot Cheesy Potatoes
As mentioned above, I used Kraft Triple Cheddar Creamy Melt. This bag of shredded cheddar has added Philadelphia cream cheese which adds extra creaminess to make these potatoes even more decadent.
Don’t skip adding the Montreal Seasoning. It gives this dish such added flavor. And the added cayenne gives it just a touch of heat.
More Side Dish Recipes to Enjoy
The BEST One Pot Cheesy PotatoesPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 lbs. refrigerated cubed potatoes
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp. Montreal steak seasoning
- 2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided (I used Kraft Triple Cheddar Creamy Melt)
- 1 Tbsp. chives, chopped, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Melt butter in a 3 1/2-qt. cast iron pan or an oven-proof deep skillet of similar size over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook for about 4 minutes until tender, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and continue to cook for one minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and sprinkle the flour over the onion mixture and cook for 1 minute, stirring often. Whisk in the broth and heavy cream and continue to cook, stirring often, until mixture is thickened, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the Montreal steak seasoning, salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne and one cup of the cheese and stir until well combined and the cheese is melted. Fold in the cubed potatoes until well combined. Bake for 25 minutes, uncovered and then sprinkle the potatoes with the remaining one cup of shredded cheese and continue to bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let potatoes rest for about 10 minutes before serving. Top with chopped chives, if desired.