These Holiday Mendiants are a little French chocolate confection perfect for holiday gifting!
Today I am going to share a simple and decadent holiday candy that is perfect for last-minute gift giving.
A mendiant is a bite-size French confection made with chocolate and traditionally studded with dried fruit and nuts. These chocolate discs are typically made around the holiday season and are wonderfully festive looking candies that are actually inexpensive to make. The versions I feature are dark chocolate topped with dried pineapple, slivered almonds and toasted coconut with a hint of espresso powder and white chocolate studded with dried cherries, pistachios and toasted coconut. I am a huge toasted coconut fan so the more the better. Feel free to use any type of chocolate you like whether milk, dark or white and any combination of dried fruits and nuts.
These candies are the perfect activity for the kids too. In between the week of Christmas and New Years when the kids are off from school you will surely be hearing, “Mom, Dad I’m bored what can we do?”. You can keep your little elves busy in the kitchen whipping up some of these sweets treats for your upcoming New Years parties. Instead of the traditional dried fruit and nut toppings you can substitute more kid-friendly toppings like sprinkles, nonpareils, pretzel pieces, crushed candy canes and mini marshmallows. I am thinking these bite size little treats may be the perfect added treat on Santa’s holiday cookie plate too!
I wish you and your families a wonderful Christmas and a New Year filled with love, peace, and good health!
Holiday MendiantsPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 - 11 ounce bag milk or dark chocolate chips
- 1 - 11 ounce bag white chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup assorted nuts slivered almonds, pistachios, pecans, walnuts
- 1/3 cup assorted dried fruit cherries, cranberries, pineapple, apricots
- 1/3 cup toasted coconut chips
- 1/4 tsp. espresso powder optional
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Melt the one bag of milk or dark chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl for 30 seconds at a time at 50% power until fully melted and smooth. Add 1/4 tsp. of espresso powder (optional).
- Using a tablespoon scoop chocolate onto parchment lined sheets leaving two inches between each scoop. Spread the chocolate lightly with the back of the spoon to form a 2 inch circle. Place toppings on the discs while still warm. Place in refrigerator for about 30 minutes to firm up. Repeat until all milk or dark chocolate is finished and then repeat with the white chocolate chips. Store in airtight container after the discs have firmed up with a piece of wax paper between layers of candies. Place in cellophane bags tied with grosgrain ribbon for holiday favors for guests or hostess gifts.
Join the Conversation