This Gnocchi with Walnut Brown Butter Sage Sauce is a decadent comfort food dish that takes less than 15 minutes to make. It’s a one pot recipe that’s perfect for date night in!
Gnocchi is my kryptonite. I don’t induldge often, but when I do, the heavens sing! And so does my belly!
I know the holiday season is a busy time for everyone, so a dish like this Gnocchi with Walnut Brown Butter Sage Sauce is just what you need on the menu. It’s a savory dish that comes together in less than 15 minutes, only requires a handful of ingredients and the nutty, sweet taste of the brown butter with the crispy savory sage leaves and walnuts truly come together to delight your taste buds.
If you’re not familiar with gnocchi, you’re in for a treat.
What is gnocchi?
Gnocchi is an Italian pasta. The most common is classic potato gnocchi. It consists of cooked mashed potatoes, flour and eggs.
Gnocchi with Walnut Brown Butter Sage Sauce Ingredients
• potato gnocchi
• good quality butter
• chopped walnuts
• sage leaves
• Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
• salt and pepper
While your gnocchi is cooking, you’ll make your brown butter sage sauce which will take only about 4-5 minutes. You’ll melt some butter over medium heat with the sage leaves until you see some brown flecks and smell the distinct nutty flavor. You’ll need to watch it carefully, because it’ll go from that wonderful nutty smell to burnt rather quickly. The sage leaves will begin to crisp up. Then you’ll add your garlic and chopped walnuts.
When the sauce is finished cooking, you’ll simply add the cooked gnocchi, season with some salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately with some freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese and perhaps a glass of wine on the side. It’s as easy as that. Dinner is served. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Gnocchi with Walnut Brown Butter Sage Sauce
As mentioned above, watch the butter as it’s cooking because it goes from perfectly browned to burnt rather quickly.
I like to serve my gnocchi with a sprinkle or so of freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese.
- 1 16-oz. package potato gnocchi
- 6 Tbsp. butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 sage leaves
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, for sprinkling and serving, if desired
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the gnocchi and cook according to package directions. Drain.
- Heat butter in a large pot or skillet over medium heat until melted. Add the sage leaves and continue to cook, stirring occasionally until the butter begins to show some brown flecks and smell nutty, about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and walnuts and the cooked gnocchi and gently toss until well combined. Remove from the heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately with some freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, if desired.