This Frito™ Pie is a classic Southwestern dish that’s FUN comfort food for all! Perfect party or game day food!
Hellllooo folks and Happy Monday!
Happy and Monday usually don’t go together, but have no fear, I’m here to make your Monday SUPER happy with this totally delicious recipe for Frito™ Pie!!
This recipe goes out to my good friend Else, my soul sister Frito™ lover!
Fritos™ are one of our guilty pleasures. We don’t indulge often, but when we do it’s a TOTAL treat.
So when Tom and I were in Florida this winter, and we came across a local bbq restaurant that served something called Frito™ Pie you know I had to give it a go.
I had never heard of it, but was obviously intrigued, because it involved one of my all time favorite snacks.
We ordered it and WOW!
Surely, it would need to be recreated at home and eventually shared here at the BHK with you folks.
So if you’re a Frito™ Pie newbie like I was, let me bring you up to speed.
Frito™ Pie is a classic Southwestern dish that’s made up of chili, cheese and fritos. There are lots of different variations depending on the area you’re in. Some popular additions are jalapeños, sour cream, pickled red onions and refried beans.
This has FUN party food written all over it. You can serve it in a casserole dish as pictured, or for even more fun, in individual small fritos bags, also pictured above, that you’ve split down the middle, loaded with chili and all the toppings!
This is one dish that’s PERFECT for all your summer parties folks! Hope you give it a go. Enjoy!
A few other summer party favorites here at the BHK are Gram’s Easy Macaroni Salad, my Baked Three Bean Casserole, and my Watermelon, Feta and Couscous Salad with Citrus Vinaigrette.
A Few Cook’s Notes for Frito™ Pie Recipe:
I used chopped yellow onions for today’s recipe, but you could also use red onions or pickled red onions.
My recipe calls for 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne powder in the chili for spice, but if you like your chili spicier you can add a bit more.
I used cheddar-jack cheese to sprinkle on top of our pie, but you could also use plain cheddar or whatever cheese you prefer.
Frito™ PiePrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 3 Tbsp. chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. cumin powder
- 3 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 tsp. paprika
- 2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne powder
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14.5-oz. can petite diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 15-oz. can pinto beans, drained
- 6-8 cups Fritos corn chips
- 2 cups shredded cheddar-jack cheese
- 1 cups yellow onion, chopped
- sour cream, sliced jalapenos, for topping, if desired
- In a large Dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until translucent. Add the garlic and continue to cook, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Add the ground beef and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink. Drain almost all fat from the pot.
- Stir in the chili powder, cumin, oregano, paprika, salt and cayenne powder until well combined. Add the crushed and petite diced tomatoes, brown sugar and 1/2 cup of the beef broth. Simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring often. Add pinto beans and remaining cup beef broth. Cook for an additional 15 minutes.
Assembling Frito Pie
- You can assemble the Frito pie in a baking dish, individual bowls or in the individual bags sliced down the middle as picture. Top the Fritos with some of the shredded cheese, then some of the hot chili, chopped onions, then finally some additional shredded cheese and sliced or chopped jalapenos. Serve immediately.
Join the Conversation