This Classic Broccoli Salad with Bacon is perfect for all your summer picnics. It’s mayo-less and a delicious combination of sweet and savory flavors!
Happy June folks!
Summer picnic and backyard BBQ season is upon us! Who’s looking for a new salad or two to add to the menu?
We always have the usual favorites on our menu, but to keep things from getting boring, I look to add a few new recipes every summer season.
A few favorites from last year were my Chicken Strawberry Avocado Pasta Salad with Creamy Poppyseed Dressing and my Watermelon, Feta and Couscous Salad with Citrus Vinagrette. If you haven’t tried either, I highly encourage you to take a peek at the recipes and give them a go.
Today’s Classic Broccoli Salad with Bacon is a delicious combination of sweet and savory flavors AND it’s mayo-less. It’s the perfect addition to your summer picnic menu.
I know a lot of people shy away from salads with mayo during the warm summer months, so this broccoli salad recipes fits the bill.
It’s a tangy combination of broccoli, bacon, golden raisins, red onion, crunchy, toasted sunflower seeds and shredded cheddar all marinated in a light dressing.
Believe it or not, even Mr. Picky goes for this one. It took a little convincing that he could actually enjoy the broccoli raw, but he put on his big boy pants and surprised himself.
So ready your picnic basket for a season of fun and delicious food. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Classic Broccoli Salad with Bacon Recipe:
I toasted my sunflower seeds for this salad. Toasting them in a skillet takes just a few minutes and really enhances their flavor.
I like to marinate this salad in my fridge for at least three hours. I stir it every hour.
Cheddar works great in this salad, but you could also use monterey jack or whatever cheese you prefer.
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 3 Tbsp. light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 strips bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 7 cups small broccoli florets
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2/3 cup golden raisins
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- In a small bowl, whisk all dressing ingredients until well blended. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, cook the bacon over medium heat until just crisp. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel-lined plate. Set aside.Clean the skillet and then add the sunflower seeds. Toast the seeds, watching carefully and stirring often, over medium heat until golden, about 4-5 minutes. Let the seeds cool and then place in a large serving bowl.
- Add the bacon, broccoli, red onion, raisins and shredded cheese to the large serving bowl with the toasted sunflower seeds. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss until everything is well coated. Place in the refrigerator, covered, to marinate for at least 3 hours, stirring every hour.