These Cinnamon Orange Cookies are the perfect addition to your holiday cookie tray this season. They’ve got all the warm cozy vibes of winter with an added burst of sweet citrus flavor. They’re buttery, crispy and delicious!
It wouldn’t be Christmas without a few cutout cookies, am I right??
These Cinnamon Orange Cookies have all the warm vibes we need for winter with a burst of citrus flavor to boost our holiday spirits! The flavor combination is delicious!
Why You’ll Love this Recipe
You need less than 10 ingredients to pull this recipe off, most of which I bet you already have in your pantry.
It’s the perfect cookie recipe to make with the kiddos too. It’s a always a fun family activity to bake together during the holidays. Grab their favorite holiday cookie cutters and get baking!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- ground cinnamon
- unsalted butter
- confectioners’ sugar
- orange zest
The first step is to whisk together your flour, baking powder, ground cinnamon, orange zest and salt.
Next up, you’ll beat your butter and confectioners’ sugar with a hand mixer until smooth and creamy followed by your orange zest.
You’ll gradually add your flour mixture to your butter mixture until it’s well combined.
Divide the dough into two equal disc portions. Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour. After one hour, remove the dough from the fridge to a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness and cut with 2-inch cookie cutter or cutter of your choice. Place 1-inch apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Sprinkle the cookies with your cinnamon sugar mixture and chill the cookies in the freezer for 15 minutes before baking for 13-14 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges.
I hope you and the kids bake a batch of these cozy, refreshing cookies guys! They’re super easy to make and it’s a great way to get the kids involved in the kitchen for some fun this holiday season! These would make for a great teacher’s gift too!
Please let me know if you give the recipe a try. And if you have any questions about the recipe, just drop a comment below. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Cinnamon Orange Cookies
You can use whatever cookie cutter is your favorite. The final amount of cookies will depend on the size of your cookie cutter. I used a 2-inch snowflake cookie cutter.
More Delicious Holiday Recipes to Enjoy
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp. orange zest
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, orange zest, cinnamon, baking powder and salt until well combined. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat butter and confectioners' sugar first at low speed, then at medium speed until creamy and well combined. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture at low speed until well combined. Divide the dough into two equal disc portions. Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Remove the dough from the fridge to a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough to 1/4-inch thickness and cut with 2-inch cookie cutter or cutter of your choice. Place 1-inch apart on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the cookies with your cinnamon sugar mixture and chill the cookies in the freezer for 15 minutes. Bake for 13-14 minutes or until lightly browned around the edges. Remove from oven to wire rack to cool on baking sheet.
Recipe adapted from Southern Cookies/Southern Living