This easy Double Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Peppermint Ganache is sure to WOW your family this holiday season! It’s rich, moist and chocolatey with just the perfect amount of peppermint flavor.
One of my favorite flavor combinations during the Christmas holiday season is chocolate peppermint. Ghirardelli dark chocolate peppermint bark squares? Have you tried them? I’m addicted!
My Chocolate Peppermint Pinwheel Cookies from last year and my Double Chocolate Peppermint Sugar Cookies from a few years back are two favorites here at the BHK. There’s just something about chocolate peppermint that jingles my bells!
Today’s Double Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Peppermint Ganache is rich, moist and super chocolatey and the perfect classic bundt cake to grace your holiday dessert table this year.
And you guys know me and bundt cakes. I’m always looking for the easy way out when it comes to cakes, so bundts are always at the top of the list.
There are so many beautiful bundt pans these days and it always looks like there was lots of work involved, but they couldn’t be easier to whip up…as long as you generously grease your bundt pan.
I used my Nordic Ware Heritage pan for today’s cake which is a 10-cup pan. It’s one of my favorite designs and a fabulous choice when you top your bundt with a ganache. The ganache pools in the crevices perfectly.
The cake’s ingredient list is short. Just five ingredeints, one being a box cake mix. I used Duncan Hines Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix. And for the ganache, I added a 1/4 teaspoon of peppermint extract. It’s all up to what you prefer. Add 1/4 teaspoon first, taste test, then add more if you enjoy more of a robust peppermint flavor.
Double Chocolate Cake Ingredients
• 1 15-oz. box of chocolate cake mix
• 1 3.4-oz. chocolate instant pudding mix
• 4 large eggs
• 1 stick butter, melted
• 1 cup water
Chocolate Peppermint Ganache Ingredients
• 6-oz. semisweet chocolate chips
• 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
• 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
• 1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
Hope you guys give this incredibly easy, decadent cake a try this holiday. It’s simply sinful! It’s sure to please everyone in the crowd! Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Double Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Peppermint Ganache Recipe:
As mentioned above, I would start with a 1/4 teaspoon of the peppermint extract. You can always add a bit more if you’d like a more robust peppermint flavor.
I garnish the top of my cake with some crushed candy canes. This is optional, but so festive looking.
- 1 15-oz. box Duncan Hines Classic Dark Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix, do not make according to package directions
- 1 3.4-oz. box chocolate instant pudding mix
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (one stick) butter, melted
- 1 cup water
Chocolate Peppermint Ganache
- 6-oz. semisweet chocolate, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, more if needed until you get to drizzling consistency
- 1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
- 1/8 tsp. vanilla extract
- crushed candy canes, for garnish, if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Generously spray bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, beat cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, melted butter and water with a hand mixer until smooth and well combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan smoothing the top and bake until a toothpick inserted into the cake comes out clean, about 40-45 minutes. Let the cake cool for 10 minutes before inverting onto a wire rack to totally cool.
Chocolate Peppermint Ganache
- Add the chocolate to a large heatproof bowl. In a small saucepan, bring the cream to a boil. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate and let stand for 4-5 minutes, then whisk slowly until smooth. Whisk in the peppermint and vanilla extracts. Pour ganache evenly over the cooled cake. Sprinkle with crushed candy canes.