This Cheesy Corn Casserole whips up in a jiffy and is perfect for all that beautiful summer sweet corn!
There is nothing better than fresh, summer sweet corn. And get ready folks because it’ll be coming soon!
At the Jersey Shore, we’ve got our pick of fabulous summer produce. Corn, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers. You name it, we’ve got it.
We’re not called the Garden State for nothin’!
During corn season, we enjoy our corn fresh from the cob, creamed, in soups, in homemade relish and salsas and in casseroles like today’s yummy Cheesy Corn Casserole.
We actually enjoy this casserole even in the off season with frozen or canned corn. It’s perfect as a side for burgers and dogs, yet fancy enough as a side for a nice, juicy steak.
You’ll only need a handful of ingredients and it’ll be on your table in less than an hour.
Simply grab a few ears, shuck ’em and combine with some sautéed onion and garlic, half and half, eggs and pepperjack cheese for a bit of spice, then pour into a casserole dish and you’ll have a tasty summer side that’s sure to become a family fave! Enjoy!
If you’re looking for a few other delicious summer sides, try my Baked Three Bean Casserole my Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Horseradish Honey Mustard Glaze or my Corn Maque Choux.
A Few Cook’s Notes for Cheesy Corn Casserole Recipe:
I like to spice things up and use pepperjack cheese, but if you enjoy things milder, you can use some regular cheddar or monterey jack cheese.
I have also added green and/or red pepper to this casserole. If you choose to add some, add about 3/4 cup and sauté with the onion and garlic.
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3/4 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 2 cups half and half
- 2 cups pepperjack cheese, shredded
- 3 large eggs
- 3 1/2 cups corn, freshly shucked or frozen or canned
- 2 Tbsp. fresh chives, chopped
- 1/4 cup plain panko
- Preheat oven to 350 degree. Spray a 2-qt. baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat butter over medium heat. Add onion and cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook for one minute.
- Add flour, salt, pepper and paprika. Stir until well combined. Slowly whisk in half and half and heat until thickened. Add 1 1/2 cups cheese and stir until melted. Remove from heat and let cool for 10 minutes. Add eggs and mix until well combined.
- Stir in corn and chives. Pour mixture into prepared dish. Top with remaining 1/4 cup cheese and plain panko. Bake, uncovered for 45 minutes until bubbly and lightly browned.