This comforting Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Bake is a comfort food dish the whole family will enjoy! It’s a hearty meal loaded with fresh broccoli, rotisserie chicken and rice all in a creamy cheesy sauce that’s just delicious!
Winner winner chicken dinner folks!
Today, I’m serving up one of our new favorites here at the BHK.
This Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Bake is a comfort food dish that’s loaded with fresh broccoli, shredded rotisserie chicken and rice all in a creamy cheesy sauce that’s sure to satisfy the heartiest of appetites.
Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Bake Ingredients
- yellow onion
- long-grain white rice
- chicken broth
- heavy cream
- salt and pepper
- plain panko
- sharp cheddar cheese
- hot sauce
You really only need a handful of ingredients for this dish and you can make it even easier to make by using some steam in the bag broccoli florets and already shredded rotisserie chicken from your local market.
How to Make Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Bake
First, you’ll microwave your broccoli florets for 3-4 minutes until they’re tender. Then you’ll melt your butter in a large skillet, add your onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 8 minutes. Next up will be to add your rice and cook for one minute before adding your broth, milk, heavy cream, salt, pepper and hot sauce and bringing to a boil.
You will want to simmer the rice mixture over medium-low heat, stirring often, for about 20 minutes until the rice is tender before adding your cheese, broccoli florets and shredded rotisserie chicken. Then you’ll pour the mixture into a 9×13-inch dish or an enameled cast iron baking dish before finally topping everything with some plain panko.
The dish will bake at 400 degrees for 15 minutes until you see the sauce bubbling and the top turning a golden brown.
It’s a simple dish to whip up and perfect for when the nights get chillier and you need a stick-to-your-bones kinda meal to warm you up this fall.
Please let me know if you give the recipe a try. And if you have any questions about the recipe, just drop a comment below. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Rice Bake
I made things easy and used some already shredded rotisserie chicken from my local market. You will need 2 cups.
You can use fresh broccoli that you cut yourself and cook in the microwave or purchase the steam in the bag broccoli which is what I used to make things super simple.
More Delicious Comfort Food Dishes to Enjoy
- 12 oz. bag broccoli florets
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/4 cup long-grain white rice
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1-2 tsp. hot sauce, use your favorite or omit if you don't like things spicy
- 1 1/2 cups sharp cheddar cheese, freshly shredded
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/3 cup plain panko
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Microwave broccoli florets for 3-4 minutes until tender and bright green. Set aside.
- In a large, deep skillet or Dutch oven, melt the 3 tablespoons butter over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until softened, stirring often, about 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add the rice and cook until translucent, about one minute. Stir in the broth, milk, heavy cream, salt and pepper and hot sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and continue to cook until the rice is tender, stirring often, about 20 minutes. Remove the rice from the heat and stir in the shredded cheese, chicken and broccoli.
- Transfer the mixture to your prepared dish and top with the panko. Bake for 15 minutes until the top if a light golden brown and the sauce is bubbly.