These Buffalo Sloppy Joes are perfect for football season! They’re made with ground turkey and just the right amount of spice. They’re a clear winner!
Helllloooo friends!! Long time no see. How was everyone’s Labor Day weekend? I hope you all enjoyed yourselves. We were very lucky to dodge the Hurricane Hermine bullet at the Jersey Shore. No damage, no flooding, no nothing. Whew!
I’m guessing most of you guys are back in the swing of things, now that summer has “unofficially” ended. I’m slowly easing into fall here at the BHK. The end of summer puts me in sort of a funk. I’m not very good with change, so saying goodbye to my favorite season is a tough one.
This is where college football and fall baking come in to save the day. During the summer, I don’t tend to bake as much because of the heat, so when fall rolls around I’ve got a list a mile long of recipes I want to conquer in the kitchen. And what’s even better than fall baking for me is college football! UMich, Notre Dame, Alabama, Rutgers….to name a few favorites! I spend most of my week planning what I’ll be making, for what games I’ll be watching, and when I’ll be watching them.
These Buffalo Sloppy Joes made an appearance at the first college football game of the season on my schedule, the University of Michigan vs. Hawaii game! They were a total winner! And so was UMich, defeating Hawaii 63-3! Woot woot! These sloppy joes are made with ground turkey and my favorite, Frank’s Buffalo Sauce. I also include a few ounces of cheddar jack cheese in the mixture and serve these on slider buns topped with some tangy blue cheese crumbles. You need to get these on the menu friends! You’re going to love them and how easy they are to whip up! Enjoy!
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 lb. ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups celery diced
- 1 cup yellow onion diced
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground pepper
- 3/4 cup Frank's Buffalo sauce
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 4 oz. shredded cheddar jack cheese
- blue cheese crumbles for sprinkling optional
- slider buns
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add turkey, celery and onion and cook until turkey is no longer pink.
- Stir in garlic powder, chicken stock, tomato sauce and paste, brown sugar, salt, pepper, buffalo sauce and red pepper flakes. Heat through.
- Add the shredded cheese and mix until melted.
- Serve on slider buns and sprinkle with blue cheese crumbles if desired.