These Buffalo Sloppy Joes are perfect for comfort food season! They’re made with ground turkey and just the right amount of spice. They’re a family favorite for dinner and game day!
Hey there folks!
We’re keeping with the “buffalo” theme this week and If you’re a fan of the classic Sloppy Joe, then I think you’re going to love this Buffalo Sloppy Joe version.
The Best Buffalo Sloppy Joes
These sloppy joes are made with ground turkey and my favorite, Frank’s Buffalo Sauce. I also include a few ounces of cheddar jack cheese in the mixture and serve these on slider buns topped with some tangy blue cheese crumbles.
There’s nothing better on a busy weeknight than making a dinner that takes minutes to prepare and is totally loaded with spicy buffalo flavor which my family loves.
I also opted to use the ground turkey meat here to keep things a bit on the healthier side.
Buffalo Sloppy Joes Ingredients
- ground turkey
- yellow onion
- garlic powder
- chicken broth
- tomato sauce
- tomato paste
- brown sugar
- salt and pepper
- Frank’s Buffalo Sauce
- red pepper flakes
- cheddar jack cheese
- blue cheese crumbles – optional
How to Make this Buffalo Sloppy Joes
First you’ll add some butter to your skillet and then cook your ground turkey, onions and celery until the meat is no longer pink and the veggies are a bit softened. Next up, you’ll add your garlic powder, chicken broth, tomato sauce and paste, brown sugar, salt and pepper, buffalo sauce and red pepper flakes until heated through.
You’ll add the shredded cheese last and mix until it’s nice and melted and then serve it all up on some buns.
You definitely need to get these on the menu friends! You’re going to love them and how easy they are to whip up! Enjoy for your next weeknight dinner or game day festivities.
Please let me know if you give the recipe a try. And if you have any questions about the recipe, just drop a comment below. Enjoy!
A Few Cook’s Notes for Buffalo Sloppy Joes
As I mentioned, I used ground turkey meat to keep these sloppy joes a bit healthier. You could also use ground beef.
I added the cheddar jack cheese for some creaminess. I think you’ll enjoy that, so I wouldn’t omit.
More Delicious Recipes with Buffalo Sauce to Enjoy
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 2 lb. ground turkey
- 1 1/2 cups celery, diced
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 3 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp. brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- 3/4 cup Frank's Buffalo Sauce
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 4 oz. shredded cheddar jack cheese
- blue cheese crumbles for sprinkling optional
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add turkey, celery and onion and cook until turkey is no longer pink.
- Stir in garlic powder, chicken broth, tomato sauce and paste, brown sugar, salt, pepper, buffalo sauce and red pepper flakes. Heat through.
- Add the shredded cheese and mix until melted.
- Serve on slider buns and sprinkle with blue cheese crumbles if desired.
Updated: This post was first published here in September 2016. I decided it was worthy of a re-share, so I’ve updated all the photos and content and added some notes to the post above.