Delicious and nutritious, these Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Mayo are perfect for your next cookout!
Guys? Are you black bean burger fans?!
Me? I’m a huge fan. Huge. Mr. Picky, not so much. He says he likes black beans, but isn’t quite sure he’d like a black bean burger. You see the logic there right?! Ugh!
I mean beef burgers are delish, there’s no debating that, but let’s not be so one dimensional. There are so many other-than-beef burgers out there, and so little time. Don’t limit yourself! Plus, these Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle Mayo are not only crazy good, they’re good for you!
These burgers are the simplest combo of black beans, onions, mushrooms, chopped green chiles, brown rice, panko crumbs, hot sauce and some spices. Just form them into patties, and cook them in a nonstick skillet with a bit of olive oil. Opt for a lettuce bun instead of your regular bread bun, add a slice of cheese, some juicy tomato and a bit of spicy chipotle mayo and I guarantee your beef burger will be taking a back seat! Enjoy!
Black Bean Burgers with Chipotle MayoPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 1 15 oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 oz. button mushrooms chopped
- 1/4 cup yellow onion chopped
- 2 Tbsp. chopped green chiles
- 2 Tbsp. hot sauce
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/3 cup cooked brown rice
- 1 cup seasoned panko crumbs
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- lettuce for buns
- tomato slices if desired
- cheese slices if desired
- Chipotle Mayo:
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 chipotle peppers from a small can of chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 Tbsp. adobo sauce
- 2 Tbsp. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1 Tbsp. finely chopped chives
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Reserve 1/2 cup beans. Pulse remaining black beans, mushrooms, onion, green chiles, hot sauce, chili powder and cumin a few times in a food processor until mixture resembles a chunky puree. Place mixture in a medium bowl. Add brown rice, panko crumbs, egg, salt and pepper and mix until well combined. Form into 5-6 patties, depending on how big you like your burgers. Cover and place in refrigerator for one hour or up to overnight.
- Chipotle Mayo: Combine all ingredients in a blender or small food processor. Puree until smooth. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Place in an airtight container in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Place olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Cook burgers, for about 10 minutes, turning once, until heated through. Top with a slice of cheese and cook until melted.
- Place burger on top of a few slices of lettuce. Top with some chipotle mayo, tomato slices, and a few more pieces of lettuce to make a bun.
Join the Conversation