This Baked Farro with Butternut Squash, Kale and Pancetta is a healthy comfort food dish that’s full of flavor! It’s perfect for the cold, winter months ahead.
We now interrupt your regularly scheduled holiday baking extravaganza to bring you….. Baked Farro with Butternut Squash, Kale and Pancetta.
Now, now, now, don’t go changin’ the channel folks. I know it’s cookie season. I totally get it. But before I had to up myself a size in my stretchy pants, I needed something healthy, yet dee-li-cious on the menu and this farro dish is it!
If you’re a regular follower of the blog, you know my love for farro. It’s a hearty, nutty-tasting grain that’s high in fiber and an excellent source of protein. During the summer, when I get fresh Jersey corn and tomatoes my Farro, Corn and Tomato Salad is my go-to salad. It’s fresh and light, yet satisfying, and packed with all things good for you. I don’t make it as much during the winter months because I love the fresh, ripe tomatoes and sweet Jersey corn we get in the summer best for the recipe. So I knew I needed a go-to fall/winter farro recipe that was just as tasty.
Sweet butternut squash along with kale, onion, sage, farro and pancetta are transformed into a winter good for you comfort food dish that you’ll find so totally flavorful and satisfying. Comfort food doesn’t always have to be fattening and bad for your waistline. You can enjoy this dish as your main course or as a side and you’ll just love how incredibly easy it is to make. You can even save yourself some time by purchasing already cubed butternut squash from your local market.
So step away from the cookie tray for a bit and and treat yourself to something healthy, comforting and delicious! Your waistline will thank you. Enjoy friends!
- 1 cup farro I use Bob's Red Mill
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 4 oz. pancetta diced
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp. fresh sage leaves roughly chopped
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 1/2 cups butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 3 cups kale stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese plus 2 Tbsp. extra for sprinkling
- Rinse 1 cup farro. Place in a pot and add 3 cups chicken stock (the stock should cover the farro). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In an 8 or 9 inch Dutch oven, saute pancetta over medium heat for 5 minutes. Add 1 Tbsp. olive oil, onion and butternut squash and cook for 6-8 minutes stirring often. Add garlic, sage, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and continue to cook 2 minutes more.
- Add cooked farro, kale and 1/4 cup parmesan cheese and mix gently until well combined. Sprinkle with extra parmesan and bake uncovered for 15-20 minutes, until squash is tender.