This hearty, satisfying Farro, Corn & Tomato Salad is a delicious way to use what summer has to offer.
Okay friends, it’s been a few weeks filled with cocktails, sweet and delicious blueberry bars and rich and creamy peanut butter cup Oreo cookie ice cream. So guess what?? Back to reality with something delicious AND good for you!! I am always looking out for you guys!
I have to say another reason I am posting this delicious Farro, Corn and Tomato Salad is because this week we are headed to Italy! We all know that the food there is going to be AMAZING, so I figured something healthy before I go might be good so I won’t feel guilty indulging when I get there! We have never been to Italy, so we decided that to celebrate several special events this year we were going to treat ourselves to an awesome family trip! We are all so excited! So I will be signing off until June 1st, but I will keep in touch through my Instagram. Since I will be taking off some time from posting, June will be a busy month filled with delicious recipes for your summer parties and BBQ’s! I cannot wait to fill you in on some of the recipes I have tested during the winter months.
This Farro, Corn and Tomato Salad is a summer favorite of mine and it’s loaded with ingredients that are good for you! It is slightly adapted from a recipe from Food Network Magazine a few years back. The fresh corn, tomatoes, scallions, black eyed peas and arugula just look so fresh and beautiful together. I also read some good things about the benefits of farro and how it is lower in calories than other whole grains, so I thought I would give it a try. It’s a hearty, nutty grain, a great source of protein and iron AND high in fiber. I told you I was looking out for you! So we can still indulge in those tasty Blueberry Lemon Cream Streusel Bars and that dreamy Peanut Butter Cup Oreo Cookie Ice Cream, but we can balance it out with a deliciously fresh summer salad packed with beautiful vegetables and healthy grains so we don’t feel as guilty!! Enjoy the week and stay in touch on Instagram! We’ll catch up when I get back!!
- 1 cup farro I used Bob's Red Mill
- 3 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups fresh corn kernels about 4 ears of corn
- 1 cup grape tomatoes halved
- 4-5 scallions sliced
- 1 15 oz. can black eyed peas drained and rinsed
- juice of one large lemon
- 2 cups baby arugula
- kosher salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the farro according to directions on the bag. Rinse the farro under cold water and place in a large bowl. Toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the corn and cook for about 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Add the tomatoes and the scallions and continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes. Season with 1/2 tsp. kosher salt and pepper to taste.
- Stir the corn mixture into the farro along with the black eyed peas. Add the lemon juice and the arugula, toss and season with salt and pepper.