A summer treat, this Peanut Butter Cup Oreo Cookie Ice Cream is rich and creamy and loaded cookies and candy for the kid in all of us!
Have you been shopping for Oreos lately?? I have. It’s not an easy task. Are you up to date on the different types of Oreos out there?? It will blow your mind! There is the original chocolate, golden, double-stuff (my husband Tom’s favorite), triple stuff, mega stuff, lemon, mint, banana split, strawberry, dulce de leche, Reese’s peanut butter cup (my son Casey’s favorite) and the list goes on! And I know what you’re thinking…why is this girl talking about store-bought Oreos?? This girl is a food blogger, her family should be eating homemade cookies. Well, yes we do eat homemade cookies and I have even tried making my own homemade Oreo cookies, but apparently nothing can replace the “real Oreo”. Sometimes you just need to realize it’s time to give up and move on.
So I’m a movin’ on… to ice cream! Deliciously, creamy HOMEMADE ice cream! And what could be better than ice cream with those yummy irreplaceable Oreos in it?? Reese’s Peanut Butter Cup Oreos to boot! Casey’s favorite.
Ever since I bought the ice cream attachment for my KitchenAid mixer I have been in full-blown ice cream mode! I LOVE making homemade ice cream. It’s so easy, it’s fun, you don’t need lots and lots of ingredients, you can choose whatever flavor and mixins you want and you know what?? It’s homemade!! And they love it!! In fact, when I made this Peanut Butter Cup Oreo Ice Cream for Casey he said it was the best ice cream he ever tasted and also added that it was way better than the store-bought stuff! I rest my case!
I think lots of people may not make their own homemade ice cream because they think it will be difficult or not as good as some of the store-bought varieties. Well, once you try this one you will realize how delicious, easy and fun it is and you will have a hard time buying store bought again. Enjoy a big bowl…or two! I guarantee it will be tough to put the spoon down. It’s ok, you’re secret’s safe with me!
Peanut Butter Cup Oreo Cookie Ice CreamPrint Recipe Pin Recipe
- 3 cups half and half
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 8 egg yolks
- 9 ounces granulated sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 12.2 ounce package of Reese's Peanut Butter Cup Oreo Cookies slightly crushed
- Combine the half and half and heavy cream in medium saucepan. Heat over medium heat stirring occasionally. Bring the mixture to a simmer then remove from heat and set aside.
- Whisk the egg yolks in a medium bowl until light in color and smooth. Add the sugar slowly and whisk to combine. Add the cream mixture to the egg mixture in small amounts until you have included about half the mixture. Whisk in the remainder of the cream mixture and return to the saucepan over low heat. Cook, stirring often until mixture reaches 175 degrees. At this stage the mixture will be slightly thickened and will coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat and pour into container. Let cool on counter for 30 minutes. Stir in the vanilla, cover and place in refrigerator overnight.
- Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer's directions. (about 20-30 minutes depending on your machine) Add the crushed cookies during the last 2-3 minutes of mixing. Place mixture in a shallow airtight container and freeze for 3-4 hours for a firmer consistency.
Adapted from Alton Brown.
Join the Conversation