This Bacon and Fig Guacamole is seriously addictive! Loaded with sweet and savory flavors that will delight your taste buds!
It’s a busy weekend of football ahead folks! Woot woot! Did your team make it to the playoffs? Mine did, and I’m super pumped to watch the game this Saturday!
I know not everyone gets as excited about the game as I do, so I’ve got something else for you to get excited about…this Bacon and Fig Guacamole!! Get ready, I’m gonna go there guys because I can’t help myself… this guacamole is figgin’ awesome!
I will admit, I came late to the guacamole game. I was 40 before I even tried it. I know, what the? All those years I missed out. Well, I’m making up for it now. I love the classic guacamole, but my amped up versions are seriously addictive.
I enjoyed something similar to today’s Bacon and Fig Guacamole when Tom and I were at a local Mexican restaurant in town, and I knew I’d have to recreate it and share it. It’s a combo of sweet and savory flavors, and if left to my own devices, I could eat the entire bowl myself.
It’s loaded with bacon, red onion, jalapenos, some dried mission figs, yes, SOOOO fabulous, candied pecans, and some crumbled blue cheese. I know. Sounds amazing, right? This is one guacamole you NEED to try! Enjoy!
- 4 ripe avocados
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 slices bacon, chopped and cooked until crisp
- 1/3 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup dried mission figs, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, stem and seeds removed and finely chopped
- 1/3 cup candied pecans, chopped
- 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Candied Pecans:
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar, lightly packed
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. water
- 1/2 cup pecan halves
- Optional: 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
- Garnish: a sprinkle of extra candied pecans and blue cheese crumbles
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Candied Pecans: Combine brown sugar, salt and water in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook until sugar dissolves, about 1-2 minutes. Add the pecans and cook for 2-3 minutes stirring to coat pecans. Remove from heat and spread out to dry on a sheet of parchment paper. Let cool, then roughly chop. This yields more than the 1/3 cup you need for the recipe. You can store them in an airtight container or use them as a topping for salads.
- Guacamole: Cut the avocados in half and remove the pit. Spoon avocado flesh into a large mixing bowl. Add lime juice. Mash with a potato masher or a fork to preferred consistency.
- Add the garlic, bacon, red onion, figs, jalapeno, candied pecans, blue cheese crumbles, salt, pepper and chopped cilantro, if desired, and gently mix together. Sprinkle with extra candied pecans and blue cheese crumbles, if desired. Serve with tortilla chips.