This Tomato Tortellini Stew is a soup that eats like a meal! Packed with veggies, meat and pasta, it’s sure to be a family favorite!
And just like that, Thanksgiving 2017 is a thing of the past. It blew by fast, didn’t it?!
Did y’all have an amazing holiday?? Hopefully everyone’s turkey was juicy, sides mouthwatering, biscuits buttery, desserts decadent, and pants at least 10% spandex!
With Thanksgiving under our belts, and some of our belts getting a little bit tighter every day, we’re moving right along into the holiday baking season! Yikes!
Since holiday baking is an event like no other at our house, and goes on for weeks (woot woot!), I try to keep dinner on the lighter side. Soup and a salad will make an appearance on the weekly menu quite often up until Christmas. This Tomato Tortellini Stew is one of our faves! It eats like a meal, but you won’t feel like you’ve overdone it after a bowl, so a cookie or two for dessert won’t be a total no-no.
This stew is packed with healthy veggies to balance out that sugary holiday diet. It’s got tomatoes, cannellini beans, spinach, onions and vegetable broth. And the cheese tortellini and Italian sausage make it nice and hearty. I like to use hot Italian sausage, but feel free to use sweet if you’d rather. I’ve added a bit of cream to make it nice and smooth and garnished it with some grated parm. You’re going to love how comforting this stew is guys! It’s perfect with a little side salad and a glass of wine. Enjoy!
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 lb. Italian sausage, hot or sweet, casing removed
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (or 1/2 tsp. if you like it spicy)
- 1 28-oz. can diced tomatoes with Italian herbs
- 1 32-oz. package vegetable broth (I use Pacific Foods)
- 1 cup water
- 1 15-oz. can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves, chopped
- 1 9-oz. package refrigerated cheese tortellini
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large stockpot, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add Italian sausage and cook until no longer pink, about 3-5 minutes, crumbling as it cooks. Drain fat.
- Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and cook until onions are translucent, about 3-4 minutes. Add tomatoes, vegetable broth and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the cannellini beans and spinach leaves and simmer until spinach leaves are wilted, about 1-2 minutes. Add the cream and the tortellini and simmer for an additional 3-5 minutes or until the pasta is just tender. Ladle into bowls. Garnish with parmesan cheese.