Ok friends, it’s been about seven weeks. Seven weeks of having a clean house, no dirty socks on the floor, gas in the car, and toilet paper on the roll. I have to say friends, I’m jonesin’ for some dirty laundry, a dirty sock, anything, because dirty laundry and empty toilet paper rolls can only mean one thing…Casey’s home! Boy, do I miss that kid! If you follow the blog you know Casey is away at school at the University of Michigan. This year Michigan planned the student’s fall weekend the same weekend as the UMich vs. Michigan State game. What were they thinking?? Now Casey won’t be coming home for break because of the game!! Insert mad face emoji!!!
So until I get to see him at the beginning of November, I’ve decided it’s time to send him a special little care package. I know Casey loves my homemade sweets, so I know he’s going to love this one! I’ve included all the ingredients for the recipe I’m sharing with you guys today. This Chocolate Caramel Mug Cake is going to be the perfect little treat Casey can whip up in his own apartment with just the use of his microwave and a mug!
Casey loves his chocolate, so this chocolate caramel combo is going to be a hit! My husband Tom was my taste tester for this mug cake, and I can tell you he sampled more than a few until I got it just right. I first tried the recipe with a large egg, but it was too cakey, so a medium egg was the way to go. It’s moist, delicious and perfectly fudgy! I used my homemade caramels that I posted on the blog a few weeks back, but you can also use store bought caramels. Face it, when you don’t want to have the temptation of having a whole cake around, or just don’t have the time to make a whole cake, a mug cake is the ideal dessert! It’s a single serving, and takes less than two minutes to make!
I’m sending Casey all the ingredients (check out the photo) except the milk, eggs and butter which he can get on his own at his local market. I’m including a microwave safe mug, some measuring spoons so he can measure out the ingredients, and I’m printing out the recipe from the blog. He’ll be all set, and in mug cake heaven for weeks with the ingredients I’m sending! So if any of you moms and dads out there have kids away at school and want to send them a special little care package, I guarantee this one will be a winner! Love you Case! Enjoy!
- 2 Tbsp. butter, melted
- 4 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 3 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 medium egg, beaten
- 3 Tbsp. whole milk
- 4 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 6 small caramel squares, chopped into small pieces
- 3 Tbsp. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Confectioner's sugar for sprinkling (optional)
- Melt butter in a microwave safe bowl for 20 seconds.
- In mug, mix together sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking powder, beaten egg, milk, melted butter and flour with a fork until well blended. Add caramel pieces and chocolate chips.
- Cook for 1 minute 10 seconds (1000 watts) or 1 minute 20 seconds (800 watts).
- The cake will continue to cook when you remove it from the microwave, so even if the top seems soft it will set quickly.
- Enjoy immediately.