This recipe for soft and chewy Easy Espresso Caramels will soon become your favorite confection to indulge in yourself and gift to others. They’re smooth and creamy and absolutely addictive!
Oh friends! These caramels! I’m just warning you, it’s time to break out the stretchy pants! Thank goodness bathing suit season is overrrr, because you are going to have a hard time eating just one. These Easy Espresso Caramels are irresistible!
Just ask my college girlfriends, they’ll back me up on this one. I went to college with some of the best girlfriends ever. It’s been a while since those old college days, but we still get together as often as we can, and when we do, it’s wine, food and fun all weekend long. Last fall, when they all came down to the beach for a long weekend I made these caramels. They were a HUGE hit!
These homemade caramels are soft, chewy and a total cinch to make. They’re smooth and buttery with a hint of espresso, my favorite! I’ve been making these for ever and love to share them with friends because they make the perfect little gift. Who doesn’t like homemade caramels? You need a candy thermometer, but it’s so easy to use. This recipe makes one 8×8 pan and you can cut the caramels into any size you like. I like to wrap mine in little clear cellophane wrappers, but you can also use wax paper. Make sure after you pour the caramel in the pan, you let it sit until it’s firm to the touch, preferably overnight. You can store them in an airtight container at room temperature for about four weeks or in the refrigerator for 2-3 months. (if they last that long!)
So next time you get invited to a friends for dinner, bring these homemade Easy Espresso Caramels as a little hostess gift. I guarantee you’ll get invited again real soon! You might want to make two batches, so you can have your own stash! Enjoy friends!
- 1/2 cup one stick unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. espresso powder I got mine from Williams-Sonoma
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper, leaving an overhang on two sides, then spray lightly with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Combine butter, sugar, cream, corn syrup and salt in large deep pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, uncovered, stirring often and scraping the sides of the pan to incorporate all the sugar.
- Once mixture starts to boil, insert the thermometer.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low, and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally until the mixtures reaches 246 degrees F.
- While the caramel is cooking, in a small bowl, combine the espresso powder, one teaspoon hot water and the vanilla extract.
- When mixture reaches 246 degrees, remove it from the heat and stir in the espresso powder mixture until smooth and well combined.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Let stand at room temperature at least 8 hours, but preferably overnight.
- Cut into one inch pieces and individually wrap in cellophane or wax paper.